OLJ: Assessment 3 Evaluation and Reflection

Published on Author equinn1989Leave a comment

Evaluation

The use of social networking/media has a beneficial place in the professional environment. For Information Professionals this is especially true as the rapidly changing technology and social media influence clients and changes the desired skills for an information professional. Social media provides opportunity for communication and further professional networking. The experiences that information professionals have with their clients/users are further impacted by the types of social networking/media tools or platforms being utilised in collaboration with different technologies. Social media provides a tool for networking with professionals and users alike without being restricted by location or access to an information agency building, therefore expanding the boundaries of the professional environment beyond the structure of a building.

The changes occurring in social networking systems and the evolution of Web 2.0; consistently changes the information professional’s approach to interacting in a professional environment. Libraries now and into the future are seen to be more productive than that libraries in the past (Hussain, 2019, p. 24). The focus today is on the user’s experience, how the client can interact with and utilise the space provided by information agencies and the skills of information professionals. The skills of the information professional develop and change to suit the professional environment, there are four key areas of skills desired. These skills ensure the professional has the ability to: conduct research and analyse data and complex information, utilise technology for research, develop communicative skills and project manage (Burton, 2019, p. 43). Being able to utilise these skills in the digital/technological platform enhances traditional skills of management, customer service, literacy and future focus (Burton, 2019, p. 45). These skills can be enhanced through networking with colleagues from other libraries, through mentoring by an information professional who has experience in relevant technologies or through practicing of new programmes and technologies (Hussain, 2019, p. 25). For the information professional challenges exist in remaining up-to-date with the rapidly changing technologies and information sector (Dodd, 2019, p. 690).

The advancement in technologies allows for information professionals and information agencies to extend beyond the walls of the information agency. As Laura Cole (2016) discusses, the Library is no longer contained to the four walls and books, instead they offer a range of programs and spaces both within a permanent structure and online for people to access information and form communities (p. 146). Social media such as Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and LinkedIn provide the opportunity for connecting to and networking with clients and professional peers alike. The main challenges information professionals face in social networking revolve around agency strategies, policy and guidelines for the incorporation of the social networking systems. In following policies such as ALIA Social media guidelines as a starting point for the professional’s own policies, the professional can ensure a maintenance of integrity for their professional environment (Australian Library and Information Association [ALIA], 2018, p. 1). As the way people access information has changed, social networking sites and Web 2.0 technologies have changed the way users access information professionals and how the information professional conveys knowledge and information (Hussain, 2019, p. 17). The information professional needs to be adaptable and up-to date with the users’ needs. By experiencing the technologies of social media and Web 2.0 as they evolve, information professionals can consistently improve their understanding to fulfill the needs of their users (Hussain, 2019, p. 25).

Social media provides a tool for networking with professionals and users alike without being restricted by location or access to an information agency building, therefore expanding the boundaries of the professional environment beyond the confines of a building. Changes occurring in technology and the way people connect impacts information agencies, not only in the way they connect with clients but also the way the library or information agency functions for users. Technology including virtual reality, video conferencing and mobile apps can all be used for connecting and interaction with users (Hussain, 2019, pp. 18-19). Due to these technological advancements’ communication with and through information agencies is now virtual and interactive in nature (Williams, 2018, p. 147). There is an inherent risk that with the speed at which interactions occur that miscommunications and misunderstanding can happen resulting in the wrong information being provided (Alexander, 2018, p. 37). To negate these risks, information agencies and professionals utilise policy to ensure that appropriate communications occurs in a responsible and timely manner.

Information agencies and professionals provide skilled, creative and adaptable services which are provided for and tailored to their clients. The information professional maintains and enhances their ability to use a variety of social networking/media tools and Web 2.0 technologies to enhance the professional environment. In information agencies users are in contact with resourceful professionals who build information repositories to fulfill the needs of their community and users.

Personal reflection

When I first discussed social networking (McMaster, 2020. March 14) I described it as an opportunity to collect and share information, knowledge, experiences and resources. I feel that this definition is still relevant after completing learning throughout this subject. Our ability to interact and utilise the social networking sites has the potential for connections and engagement with others in the same profession or with the same interests occurring (McMaster, 2020, March 14). Throughout the unit of study, I have reflected on my past experiences with social networking sites and the methods I have used in both the past and present. The following explores the extent to which I have developed as a social networker and the implications that this unit of study has for my future development.

Over the last semester, my understanding and abilities to use a variety of social network sites has improved extensively. As I discussed in my earlier post, my use and interaction with social networking sites as been quite limited; having only interacted with three sites, one of which I set up and never utilised (McMaster, 2020, March 14). My interactions have been for personal use with some limited following on a professional basis. Through the study of social networking this unit has given me the skills and information to create social media accounts for Twitter, Reddit and Digg for the purpose for professional development and networking. Since setting up an account with Twitter, I have consistently used Twitter to follow more professional pages/personnel; this is assisted by Twitter’s prompts and notifications. Reddit has been useful in providing me with access to library professionals and to professional reading including some that have been out of interest.

During the procession of the INF506 unit, I have also become more aware of the purpose, use and benefit of the inclusion of hashtags. The inclusion of hashtags has helped me to organise outside of topics or subjects so that instead content that can cross the limits of topics can be found easily. I have enjoyed connecting and interacting with other information professionals via Facebook. Though I already used Facebook consistently, it has been eye-opening to discuss with others on a professional level as I have met and interacted with people interested in the information profession. I have always found it hard to consistently engage with discussions on the interact2 site as it is only available to me when studying. The group on Facebook has provided me with consistent access whilst engaging with other personal content.

At the outset of this unit I endeavoured to understand how I could effectively use social media and Web 2.0 for the benefit of users of an information agency. I have developed and tailored my Twitter and Reddit accounts towards a professional focus by following information agencies, information professionals and areas of interest from a teaching perspective. For my Twitter account I have maintained a professional focus by following national information agencies including: ALIA, state libraries and local community facilities (McMaster, 2020, March 29). Reddit I have not tailored specifically to an Australian setting, instead it is following general library tags, allowing access to information around the world. The purpose of having a professional focus in Twitter and Reddit is to ensure that into the future I am able to actively engage and connect with others to the benefit of students and staff in a secondary high school setting. My use and experimentation with additional sites, provide me with the skills to include these to the benefit of users when working in an information agency in the future (Hussain, 2019, p. 24). Whilst I can not currently utilise social networking for the direct benefit of others in a professional environment, I can incorporate it in my own teaching through networking with other professionals.

The unit has reaffirmed my focus on teaching students to locate authentic information through in-depth researching rather than relying on social media information (McMaster, 2020, May 13). The concept of (mis)information is not new to me, I’m History trained Ancient sources have a tendency to distort the past to suit their audience or goals. But the concepts of shifting that focus in social media and the incessant spread of (mis)information has been growing with the lack of fact-checking available. I found my first reading and online learning journal post to be the most reflective the importance of fact-checking and how I can now approach the incorporation of authentication into learning for others.

Whilst I am not currently in a direct connection with an information agency, studying this unit has affirmed my previous beliefs and commitment to improve my technology use in my teaching practices. It has also given me confidence to provide colleagues with advice on how to incorporate technology into their teaching during these unusual and unprecedented times. This step towards providing direct advice to colleagues is new for me, previously I would only do this if directly asked or involved in conversation.

Alexander, G. (2018). Communicating in the time of social media. Kai Tiaki: Nursing New Zealand, 24(3), 37. Retrieved from: https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/docview/2049666128?accountid=10344&rfr_id=info%3Axri%2Fsid%3Aprimo

Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). (2018). Social media guidelines. Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). Retrieved from: https://www.alia.org.au/sites/default/files/documents/ALIA%20Social%20media%20guidelines%20June%202018.pdf

Burton, S. (2019). Future Skills for the LIS Profession. Online Searcher, 43(2), 42-45. Retrieved from: http://web.a.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=1&sid=5f36d0fd-6b4f-426d-b4f9-0eaebd9fe545%40sessionmgr4008

Cole, Laura (2016) BiblioTech as the Re-Imagined Public Library: Where Will it Find You? Paper presented at: IFLA WLIC 2016 – Columbus, OH – Connections. Collaboration. Community in Session 213 – Metropolitan Libraries. Retrieved from: http://library.ifla.org/view/conferences/2016/

Dodd, J. (2019). Competency or capacity: Measuring Librarians’ Potential for success. Journal of Library Administration, 59(6), pp. 684-692. DOI: 10.1080/01930826.2019.1626648

Hussain, A. (2020). Cutting edge: Technology’s Impact on library services. In Innovations in the Designing and Marketing of Information Services (pp. 16-27): IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-1482-5.ch002

McMaster, E. (2020, March 14). INF506 Assessment Task 1 [Blog Post]. Retrieved from: https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/03/14/inf506-assessment-task-1/

McMaster, E. (2020, March 29). OLJ Task 4: Twitter Feeds [Blog Post]. Retrieved from: https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/03/29/olj-task-4-twitter-feeds/

McMaster, E. (2020, May 13). OLJ Task 16: Authentic Information [Blog Post]. Retrieved from: https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/05/13/olj-task-16-authentic-information/

Williams, M. L. (2018). The adoption of Web 2.0 technologies in academic libraries: A comparative exploration. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science. DOI: 10.1177/0961000618788725