OLJ Task 9: Mobile exploration

Published on Author equinn19891 Comment

Ok so my first choice for my favourite website is Bunnings, I’m sorry but I just love looking and finding things that I want, even though I may not currently need them. Really it is about dreaming. (I have just discovered that they have Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube channel, so guess who I am now following). The Bunnings website on a mobile device is quite useable. I regularly use it while in store to navigate the aisles to each of the items I require. The straight forward search and categories assists the user regardless of the type of device being used to access the site. Honestly the information and easy use just draws me back to the site again and again. There is a flaw in the search system as you need to be specific with the search terms being used. I was going to say that Facebook pages for individual stores would be beneficial; I then found that this does already exist, however, it is not posted on, it has basic details about the store location and website link.

KMART! Yes, this amazing store has three social media sites to follow them on – Facebook, Instagram and Youtube. And a functional, easily used website. The ability to navigate the website is a little less fluid than the Bunnings website. The limited number of options may be a contributing factor to this lack movement. The Kmart website appears well formatted on the mobile device as it maintains a consistent appearance to the computer version. For ongoing improvement of the website, it would be useful to provide locations of products within the store. Whilst layouts of the stores are inconsistent across the country, providing this information would help in navigation and planning for purchases, especially in times like these with limited numbers permitted in stores and people wanting to get in and out quickly.

Finally, we have the Central Coast Library Service website. This service website provides access to the Library and its services. Regardless of using the website on a mobile device or desktop computer the website beyond the Homepage can be hard to use. I have found myself using it for one thing (reserving books) and this is still a difficult process. Formatting and font play an important role in the usability of a website. The use of typewriter text only adds to the lack of useability and seems disjointed. The individual libraries do not have their own social media sites. These are through the local council only. In doing this the reach of the library is limited and communication with the local community is restricted to the council’s discretion. This is not the case for all council libraries, there are others that have their own social media sites which are used effectively to communicate with the public about up coming events and activities as well as informing about regular services available.

One Response to OLJ Task 9: Mobile exploration