Prior to completing this subject I would say that my knowledge was limited to what I had come across as a reader myself, and through what I have read with my own children or seen them reading. I have also had experience in helping at the School library and seeing popular novels that the students regularly borrow.
Things that I could do to increase my professional knowledge of Children’s literature:
- Join social networking sites that review the literature such as goodreads.
- Subscribe to publications like Magpies
- Collaborate with other Teacher Librarians from other schools about things like their collections.
- Collaborate across various curriculum areas with teachers to get an insight into what they are using in their classrooms or would like to be using.
- Liaise with local book stores regarding trends.