November 14

Work Placement Day 4

Wednesday 11th November 2020

8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 12:00 1:00 2:00 3:30 5:00
Returns IT Lesson IT Lesson LUNCH Front Counter Literacy Kits Hub Meeting at Melaleuca PS

Today I started on Returns. This station involves answering the phone, processing returns and managing the books sent out to other libraries via Australia Post and homes via the libraries home delivery service. I enjoyed how similar it was to processing and re-shelving returns back at school – I picked up the process fairly quickly.

Next up, I observed a session for elderly people learning how to use an iPad. For some reason I found it very satisfying to see how excited the learners were when each next feature was introduced. One of the group members stayed behind for a long chat and he was really nice. I liked his loud laugh. I wonder if he doesn’t have many people to talk to at home, so he stays behind to feel social. The library provides that space for him, which is cool.

After lunch I spent some more time at the front desk. I even served a few clients who came to me for help with scanning documents and processing overdue books. I enjoy helping people and they were all very friendly.

From 2:00pm onwards, I worked with Kelly. To hit two of my professional goals, she thought I could assist by revamping the Literacy Kits ready to put out on display in the children’s area. I’ll be working on this project throughout the rest of the placement.

Finally, Kelly drove me to Melaleuca Primary School where a quarterly meeting is held at The Hub, a community space where agencies come together to provide services to nearby residents. It was interesting to hear what programs and services were being planned for next year, and having a quick look at one of the primary schools in town. The library attends the meeting to advertise their relevant programs and try to promote the library to those in lower socio-economic areas.

Tags: , ,

Posted November 14, 2020 by murphda75 in category ETL507 Professional Experience and Portfolio