October 2

Attributes of an Effective Leader

Think about the people who have been inspirational in your working and learning life. Were they mentors who you engaged with on a regular basis? Were they other staff members? Were they leaders in your school? List the attributes that made them effective leaders.

Person 1 – I have worked under Person 1 regularly while living in Port Augusta. She is part of the Leadership Team at Willsden Primary School and takes number one place in the list of referees on my CV. I have a deep respect for the work that she does as the school is such a challenging place to work. Last year, I worked with her for a few months on a mentoring basis. We would often talk about my teaching practice and how to manage my classroom more effectively.

She is:

• Very organised
  • Passionate about the teaching of reading
  • Funny
  • Caring
  • Willing to stand by you in tough situations

Person 2 – This person is my favourite Deputy Principal. As a TRT, it is incredibly important that I have Leadership backing when I manage student behaviours. I always know that Person 2 will support my behaviour management, and she always makes me feel welcome at her school. Also, after school last year, she made time for me when I needed someone to talk to about a professional matter.

She is:

• Great at managing challenging behaviour
  • Supportive
  • Hard-working
  • Visible
  • Approachable

Person 3 – Person 3 was the Assistant Principal at Burra Community School while I was completing my fourth year teaching placement there in 2012. I continued to visit Burra after the teaching placement, and I became such good friends with Person 3 that I would have coffee with her. Although she wasn’t my mentor teacher, she would often check in with me to see how I was going. She featured on my CV as a referee for many years, although she has retired now.

She is:

• Hard-working
  • Friendly and approachable
  • A realist

Posted October 2, 2019 by murphda75 in category Uncategorized