It has taken me a while to get into blogging once again as I have found that this really isn’t a format that I enjoy. Currently my process is: write, read, delete, rewrite, delete, write, read, delete. I’m hoping that once I write and publish this post that the others will come more naturally.
Funnily, I have posted different blog posts before this one, mainly I think because this one no longer feels relevant to the course (however something that still interests me greatly).
This is my first post that I’ve written since coming back this term (that I have written a few times now) and it has been a reflection that has come from Kathy Schrock’s blog post Bloomin’ Apps. She has organised a range of apps to support the different stages of thinking based on Bloom’s Taxonomy, also separating the apps based on software (IOS, Android, web-based).
This had me thinking as to how to best create an index to all applications available to students and teachers for teaching and learning activities.
I would like to think of this as something similar to an ecommerce website, where our customers (students and teachers) are able to browse several applications, filter through the different ‘products’ and find something that it relevant and useful to their task.
Something I found impressive in Schrock’s index was her thoughtful design. She ensured that it was easy to read, that apps were separated into specific categories and that all apps had a clear icon, all of which were hyperlinked.
The way that she organised the apps was obviously not like an ecommerce website, but I did consider some things that have frustrated me from various websites and considerations that could be applied to the concept of an ecommerce style search filtering app finder.
There are a few things that I would like to talk about in terms of creating a search filter for apps. I will be giving examples from a range of ecommerce websites and discuss the issue and how it can be adapted to suit the library space.