People and Pedagogy

The DLTV annual DiGiCon Conference 2016, held at the Swinburne University Hawthorn Campus was a professionally invigorating experience. The conference reminded me that still, in the 21st century, education is all about people and the relationships they forge. Typically, our classrooms are now rich in technology but this technology is inconsequential without engaged learners and effective educators.

The DLTV annual DiGiCon Conference 2016, held at Swinburne University Hawthorn Campus was a professionally invigorating experience. The conference reminded me that that still, in the 21st Century, education is all about people and the relationships they forge. Typically, our classrooms are now rich in technology but this technology is inconsequential without engaged learners and effective educators.

I had not been to DiGiCon for a few years as, apart from being swamped by new employment responsibilities, quite ironically, I found this conference and others like it had become very tool focussed whereas discussions on people and pedagogy had been largely forgotten. But this year the DiGiCon meeting reflected a shift or growth in our teaching community, as demonstrated by keynote speakers and workshops that focussed on people, learning and relationships. This focus on pedagogy is also a reflection on the key organisers of this conference who network relentlessly and collaboratively to build education in Victoria.

The three keynote addresses that I attended (I did miss one) were very people centric. Jenine Beekhuyzen founder of the Tech Girls Movement spoke of empowering young girls. Rosie and Lucy Thomas spoke with passion about tackling issues of bullying in school communities via Project Rockit; their goal is to create real social change. Steve Brophy communicated with emotion the need to live a life of passion and “walking on to new opportunities and challenges.” These three presentations juxtaposed together, served as a beautiful reminder of the importance of people and what can be achieved when they learn from each other.

Social Networks in Digital Learning Environments

During each keynote presentation, my mind kept wandering to Charles Kadushin’s work on Understanding Social Networks (Kadushin, 2012) as each  presenter demonstrated that they had made powerful use of social networks to effect change. I do laugh at my thought process here, as this writing of Kadushin’s, which I have read as part of my M.Ed journey, is a hard, hard read but as I have discovered, provides good knowledge of how social networks function. During the DiGiCon16 key notes I tweeted:

Networks are also about community & social support (Kadushin). @projectrockit is demonstrating this idea loud and clear at #DigiCon16

— Simon Keily (@aus_teach) July 19, 2016

Also,

Networks can be used to break the status quo via interactions and connection. @SteveBrophy3 …nice talk. #thanks

— Simon Keily (@aus_teach) July 20, 2016

The history of civilization is the story of diffusion through networks (Kadushin, 2012). What elements can move through networks? Disease, ideas, opinions, values, traits, physical objects, practises and innovation. The 21st century educator is becoming more adept at acting as a conduit, to facilitate the diffusion of these elements amongst our teaching peers and very importantly into our classrooms, which otherwise act as “networks in a box” or socio-centric networks (Kadushin, 2012). We want to break down the functioning of old classrooms and inject into them new ideas, opinions and practices. It is invigorating to know that as modern networked educators, we have the power to use our social networks to bring a plethora of new ideas and activities into our classrooms and to change how our learning communities engage with knowledge. The enabler of this change is not just technology but also the people we meet while networking at various meets, or while learning and exploring online.

Thanks for reading. Please gift me with your reactions or feedback.

Simon

References:

Kadushin, C. (2012). Understanding social networks: Theories, concepts, and findings. Oxford University Press, USA

Bookmark and Share
336 Comments
  1. Hello I am a student who runs a blog with similar content to your website. Your website has a lot to learn. If you have time, I would appreciate it if you visit my blog and leave your feedback. Thank you. Have a good da
    슬롯사이트
    ><

2. These days we all are fall in love with lottery game. Satta Matka is also the form of lottery game. It gives you money and help you to get entertainment. You will find several types of tricks and tips to win the match. once you will get pro you become the richest person.

3. My relatives every time say that I am killing my time here at web, but I
    know I am getting know-how every day by reading thes fastidious articles.

4. May the game Satta Matka is not legal in India but still it is most professional game. As each of us loves to win lottery and get some gifts. Satta matka is also a kind of lottery game and you can win money on behalf of gift. In this game you can play in several mode and win some gifts as cash. This is most enjoyable game which is bound to fall us in love with it.

5. ¡Gracias por tu maravillosa publicación personal!
    Disfruté bastante leyéndolo, resulta que eres un gran autor.

Me aseguraré de marcar tu blog como favorito y, finalmente, volveré más tarde en la vida.
    Quiero animarte a continuar con tu gran trabajo, tener una
    buenos dias!

https://safetottosite.jouwweb.nl/

6. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work.
    송송넷

7. Hello, I read the post well. soi kèo It’s a really interesting topic and it has helped me a lot. In fact, I also run a website with similar content to your posting. Please visit once

8. While looking for articles on these topics, I came across this article on the site here. As I read your article, I felt like an expert in this field. I have several articles on these topics posted on my site. Could you please visit my homepage? 메이저놀이터순위

9. Taking the stress out of any aspect of cleaning is what we specialize in. When you hire us we make sure we exceed your expectation. We understand everyone has different requirements that’s why we offer Services that match your needs. Cleaning Services Dubai

10. It’s not enough to have trust in the cleaning crew that you let into your home, but you also have to trust that they will perform a first-class cleaning job for you. Putting our employees through a rigorous training program, ensures each member of our cleaning team understands their role, and how it relates to the overall performance of the team. Cleaning Services Dubai

11. Choose us because of our reputation for excellence. We’ve earned a name for quality and customer service. The clients we serve rely on us for detail-oriented, consistent cleaning services, every single time we clean their place Maid Service Dubai

12. Hiring just the right cleaning companies in Dubai can be life-altering for the busy family. Now this may certainly seem to be a little over-the-top. Think about your life-whether single, a couple or a family-you have no time. No time to keep your home as organized or clean as you would like. Finally no time to do the smaller tidying jobs that would make a huge difference. Cleaning Company Dubai

13. Your post is very interesting to me. Reading was so much fun. I think the reason reading is fun is because it is a post related to that I am interested in. Articles related to 메이저놀이터순위 you are the best. I would like you to write a similar post about !

14. Just as powerful, just as strong, and just as well funded. I was very interested in the article. it’s quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one. https://www.yadong.biz

15. That’s a great article! The neatly organized content is good to see. Can I quote a blog and write it on my blog? My blog has a variety of communities including these articles. Would you like to visit me later? keo nhacai

16. with the accumulation of experience In providing online betting services for more than 10 years, we understand and can perform and quality management and maximum efficiency ufaauto789

17. That’s a great article! The neatly organized content is good to see. Can I quote a blog and write it on my blog? My blog has a variety of communities including these articles. Would you like to visit me later? keo nhacai