Refocusing learning on pedagogy in a connected world

The negative response to NAPLAN via social media channels is astounding.

Obviously as a teaching profession we are struggling with the intent and effect of this testing. The published negative responses have reminded me of a paper I read recently that discusses what is termed an instruction paradigm. Such an educational model is typified by:

*accessibility to information
*memorising that information
*regurgitating that information in content-oriented examinations

and

*an instruction-oriented curriculum which breeds knowledge acquisition, not understanding.
(Yam San, 2002)

This author also states ” Schooling, and university education for that matter have never been about learning so much as about instruction and certification.” (p. 8). Immersed in such a paradigm universities and colleges exist to provide instruction by transferring knowledge from staff to students.

Our system of education is actively involved in a search for a pedagogy relevant to modern learners. Professional discontent regarding NAPLAN is perhaps symptomatic of this professional struggle.

Please gift me with your professional response to this post.

References:
Yam San, C. (2002). Refocusing learning on pedagogy in a connected world. On the Horizon, 10(4), 7-13.

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments
  1. Great article. I like the way the author touched on the teaching topic. I believe that a good teacher will always be able to interest any student. At school, I really liked literature because of one teacher. Through my love for his subject, I grew up and became an academic writer at https://wowgrade.net/ . Now I help students get through writing research papers and term papers.

2. I agree with your opinion. I myself want to be a teacher and study at the pedagogical faculty as for me to know the psychology of students. I think very few people understand what to learn, remember and retell information is not easy, it is important for a teacher to prepare well for each lesson I often use a service paraphrase for me
    that helps me prepare for the lesson.

3. Technology has gifted many educational tools to enhance learning and teaching experience. However, using technology effectively is not as easy as it seems to be. It should not compromise with the sound pedagogical principles on which teaching and learning are built. It is quite interesting to add technology to pedagogy. Teaching using simulation has many advantages especially if the technical aspects are well understood. You can include a technician who will operate the equipment whilst you design and implement your own case scenarios. Hands on experience is valuable as practice will make you perfect. In order to keep up with changes in technology we as teachers need to change our strategies and be open to try new and improved methods. Essayservices[dot]org