“cOAlition S” discusses its new Rights Retention Strategy

Subject Area: Open access rights, collection management
Length: 1 hour
Level: Library Technicians and Librarians
Organisers: Australian Open Access Strategy Group
Presenter: Ginny Barbour, Robert Kiley and Johan Rooryck
Format: Online event

Evaluation of the activity

Objectives

Seeking information to assist staff and students at my library with information to assist safely publishing their work and to find out more information about Creative Commons licenses and how it can assist in creating information that could be free to use for students potentially reducing the financial burden of studying

Reason for attendance

This was a topic that directly related to work I was currently researching regarding Both Creative Commons and assisting online learning for students this year.

Relationship to work or studies

This online event relates to my studies in several different subjects I have studied throughout the course. Topics relating to Copyright, Intellectual property. This also relates heavily to my work in an academic library where we try to work with students who may be seeking to publish their work for the first time or current staff who are looking for information to ensure their intellectual ownership of material they have previously or currently so that they can guarantee their work is accessible freely and not locked into a publisher who will retain their copyright ownership.

What the activity achieved in terms of my learning outcomes

Previously I not come across the work of cOALition S and the work they do to assist researchers to make their work available with the assistance of using specific Creative Commons licences with their work.

Planned implementation from knowledge gained

I am hoping to use the information gained in his session to help write an online user guide to assist research in ways to identify predatory publishers and know their rights in terms of signing over or regaining copyright over their material.

Evidence

Inviation to Coalition S