ALIA Queensland Mini Conference 2018

Subject area: “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
Type: 1-day Conference
Length: 7 hours
Level – Library Technicians and librarians.
Organisers: ALIA Queensland Branch
Presenters: Amy Walduck, Sue Hutley, Nikki Anderson Martin Cvelbar, Christina Steinke Leela Wittmer, Christine Ianna, Kylie Burgess, Nicole Clark, Helen Weston, Adam McCarthy, Flic French, Desleigh Fisher, and Jigger Nicolas, Andrei Maberley and Jill Rogers.
Format: Multiple 15-minute sessions with 3 alternative 20-minute workshops of up to 20 people

Objectives and reason for attending

The purpose for attending this year’s conference was to present to the conference about the involvement Flic French and I had in the co-creation of the Digital Literacy Modules at the University of Queensland and to share with the wider library information community the importance of ensuring students have the digital skills required to succeed in their studies.

Relationship of the activity to your work or studies

The presentation has particularly strong ties to my work in that we had just completed 9 months of working on the Digital Essentials project which required working for a team on developing a way to provide the students at the University of Queensland with and environment to develop skills they felt they were missing as identified in the Information and Digital Literacy Strategic Framework, 2016 – 2020 (PDF, 3.8 MB). The result was the construction of 18 modules which could not only assist our students with the fundamental digital fundamentals such as evaluate information, collaborative working and communicating online and identifying and using applications to assist in the creation of online assignment, the modules were also open to academics or anyone interested. The modules were also created under a Creative Commons license that allowed us to share the other information with other institutions as well.

Explain what the activity achieved for you in terms of learning outcomes

My participation has provided my first experience in presenting at a conference and to a large physical and online presence. Retrospectively this achievement has further assisted me in terms of my professional skills in that has provided confidence in presenting to an audience online and online training sessions. This has also allowed me to further reflect and look at ways to enhance my presentation skills for both my studies in the Bachelor of Information Science as well as my work and the importance of always bringing multiple modes of backup resources in case of equipment failure to ensure the presentation runs smoothly.

How I plan to use the knowledge gained

Looking back at the recordings of the presentations I would look to future opportunities to possibly look at taking further time to include closed captions or to find further ways to make the presentation more inclusive experience for all participants. It has also highlighted the importance of such events in providing a necessary platform for providing information to the wider Galleries Libraries and Museums Industry of what is currently being worked on within our industry and to inspire future projects that will benefit our clients.

Evidence

alia queensland mini conference 2018