Using the Australian School Library Association’s Evidence Guides for Teacher Librarians as a Reflective Practitioner

Reflection is a major element in teacher growth and development, thus it is common to hear teachers referred to as ‘reflective practitioners’ (Ghaye, 2011, p.22). Tony Ghaye (2011) emphasises the importance of reflection for growth within the teaching profession by stating that “with structure, challenge and support, the reflective process enables thinking and practice to move forward” (Ghaye, 2011, p.23). The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership, 2011) acknowledges the role it plays in reflection for growth by stating that the Teaching Standards “inform the development of professional learning goals, provide a framework by which teachers can judge the success of their learning and assist self-reflection and self-assessment” (p.3). Using Ghaye’s (2011) statement on reflective process above, I am going to shape my discussion of how I intend to use the Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in The Proficient Career Stage (Australian School Library Association, 2014) around the three concepts of ‘structure’, ‘challenge’ and ‘support’.

Structure

One structural element to consider in demonstrating my practice against ALSA’s Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in The Proficient Career Stage (Australian School Library Association, 2014) is how I will physically document my evidence of proficiency. With many digital platforms available, it is essential to choose a platform that will allow me to easily exhibit my artefacts, associated annotations, and reflections. Being involved in the curation of a portfolio via a digital communication platform will give me, as a teacher librarian, the opportunity to demonstrate and enhance my skills in the ICT area. It also provides an opportunity as the information specialist of the school to lead by example. With technology evolving so quickly, the platform that I may end up using in my practice may not even be invented yet. Or it may very well end up being through this blog – who knows! Changes within this digital realm are something that I will need to keep abreast of over the coming years to ensure that I can choose a platform that will exhibit my knowledge and abilities well.

Challenge

The very first place to begin when using the evidence guides is to identify areas of strength and highlight areas of further development. I will then select 2-3 standards for which I wish to improve and formulate challenging but achievable goals. Barbra Braxton (2016) encourages teacher librarians to create S.M.A.R.T goals; using the standards contained within ALSA’s evidence guides to formulate specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely goals (para. 9). A plan will then be formulated that clearly articulates ways in which I can achieve these goals. This could be through professional learning, personal research or reaching out to other information professionals, which leads us to…

Support

Teaching is a collaborative profession where we are constantly working in partnership with other teachers, students, executive, parents and many external stakeholders. Therefore, collaborative skills are essential, particularly in relation to professional growth. With this understanding I recognise that there is an importance in reaching out and connecting with other teacher librarians in my area and through online communities. Identifying other teacher librarians who may have expertise in particular fields and drawing upon their knowledge will help support me to address deficits within my own professional knowledge. Seeking feedback from within my own school, from teachers, executive and even students themselves, will also help me better serve their teaching and learning needs.

Using the Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in The Proficient Career Stage Stage (Australian School Library Association, 2014) within a constant cycle of reflection, I will be able to address the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership, 2011) in my future role as a teacher librarian. Considering some key points around structure, challenge and support will put me in a good position to continue with my personal learning and growth well after I have completed this degree. I recognise that by improving my own professional knowledge, practice, and engagement in the teacher librarian field, I will have a positive impact on the teaching and learning outcomes within my school.

References:

Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership. (2011). Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. AITSL.  https://www.aitsl.edu.au/teach/standards

Australian School Library Association. (2014). Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in The Proficient Career Stage. ASLA. https://asla.org.au/evidence-guides-tls

Braxton, B. (2016, Term 2). The professional learning hat. Schools Catalogue Information Service. https://www.scisdata.com/connections/issue-97/the-professional-learning-hat

Ghaye, T. (2011). Teaching and Learning Through Reflective Practice: A Practical Guide for Positive Action. Taylor & Francis Group.

2 thoughts on “Using the Australian School Library Association’s Evidence Guides for Teacher Librarians as a Reflective Practitioner

1. I definitely like the idea of using a blog/wiki to create a portfolio – will be easier to organise than the paper one I had to do years ago!

I’m interested in reading Braxton’s article. I think goal planning is something I’m not great at, but it could really help me with this. Thanks for sharing, Amanda!

1. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this post, Shannon. I agree, technology makes the collation of evidence much easier!

Barbra Braxton’s blog, 500 Hats, is quite insightful. Reading a few of her past posts has helped me to gain a clearer idea of the role of a teacher librarian. Definitely worth a look!