ETL402 6.2 Curriculum-Based Literary Learning: Year 9 English Power and Freedom

Consider a literature unit that you have taught. Provide a brief description and identify the theoretical stance taken. Share the highlights of this unit.

In my previous life as an English teacher I’ve had the privilege of being able to teach many literature units! Socio-cultural theories of learning underpin my approach to teaching in general, and as such I’ve always tried to consider the learning needs of my students and tried to create learning opportunities which rely on learning in a social context.

One unit which comes to mind was our Year 9 unit on the concept of Power and Freedom. When teaching this unit I generally elect to study the novel Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I love using role-plays and simulation, and throughout the unit we play a ‘game’ where students are in a dystopia of sorts and have to obey ’10 Commandments’ to earn points. At the end of each week the students with the highest number of points gain the ability to change the rules (within reason and with my permission of course!) and getting other special treatments (silly things like being called ‘Exalted One’). Each year I’ve taught this unit it’s been a interesting way for students to connect with the novel and recognise the key concepts around power, freedom, and dystopia that I’m trying to teach. Factions form, students start negotiating with each other to pool points, coups are planned … it’s great fun.

I also often use a modified version of literature circles to help students form personal connections and interpretations of the novel. We’d read a section in class (if time allowed), then complete personal response questions:

1. What do you think this was about (literally, thematically)?
  2. What did you like or dislike about it?
  3. Did anything confuse you? Were there any words or phrases you didn’t understand?
  4. Did you notice any patterns, techniques or connections which helped you make meaning?

While the unit parameters, time and access issues meant that I didn’t have the ability to give students free choice of text, they still took on roles (I used Summariser, Word Wizard, Character Captain, Literary Luminary, and Connector), examined the text in their ‘expert’ groups, then returned to their literature circles (or book clubs as I called them) to discuss and extend their understandings as a group. We then shared their findings through a whole class discussion. It was a far more effective strategy than the old comprehension chapter questions that I’d experienced as a student!