ETL401 3.2 The Role of the Teacher Librarian: LIBERating Our Perceptions

It has been an absolutely INSANE time over the last few weeks. Teaching online, HSC assessment marking and reporting, and my own preparation for the second ETL401 assessment have left me feeling a little brain-dead. I’m therefore going to start this post by channeling my inner high-school debater and turning to the good book – i.e. the Dictionary – for guidance:

English: library (derived from Latin liber meaning “book”)

German: bücherei (roughly translates to “bookery”)

Spanish and Italian: biblioteca (from Ancient Greek bibliothekē meaning library; derived from biblio “book” + theke “place, box, receptacle”)

French: bibliotheque (as above).

Mandarin: 图书馆 [Túshū guǎn] (meaning “picture or image” + “book” + “gallery”)

I could go on, but I feel that my point is becoming clear. In many languages around the world, libraries are etymologically associated with the idea of “books” and this public perception persists regarding the role of the Teacher Librarian in schools. However, when we examine the day to day functions of TLs, the complexity of the position becomes apparent and books, wonderful as they are, are often not at the centre of academic or practitioner descriptions of our role.

In his comprehensive (if older) review, Herring (2007) argues that libraries should be seen as “a centre of learning first and a centre of resources second” (p.27). Books, fundamentally useful resources for learning though they are, therefore should not necessarily be the priority of TLs in the current information landscape. He states that many school library mission statements give “unnecessary prominence” (p.27) to the idea of reading as central to the school library’s purpose. Although I would argue that libraries certainly do have the capacity to support the development of reading for pleasure (especially given that many classroom teachers are dealing with overcrowded curricula and often feel they lack the necessary skills, particularly in the secondary setting), Herring emphasises the importance of TLs primarily as specialist teachers of information literacy who lead the collaborative development of learning programs and resource collections to meet the needs of their students and staff, with the end goal of allowing them to become independent, life-long learners. In Figure 2.1 (p.30), Herring lists the following roles as integral: teacher; librarian; information services manager; information literacy leader; information specialist; curriculum leader; instructional partner; website developer; budget manager; staff manager; fiction and non-fiction advocate. Based on my experience, I feel that he leaves out: PR and marketing manager; ICT support; technology resource manager; casual cover supervision; counselling service; diplomats; inclusivity advocate; and interior designer. Nonetheless, his list is quite comprehensive and useful for understanding the vast array of roles we are expected to fill. Teacher librarians function as the glue that holds everything together; it seems we have to fit into all the nooks and crannies to do our jobs!

Within his analysis, Herring referenced a number of different professional documents from around the world. ASLA (2003) focused on three key roles of the TL: 1) curriculum leader; 2) information specialist; 3) information service manager. A 1998 publication from the United States listed our roles as: 1) teacher; 2) instructional partner; 3) information specialist; 4) program administrator. A Canadian document published in 2005 emphasised TLs leadership in: 1) information literacy and inquiry processes; 2) ICT; 3) teaching and curriculum planning; 4) collection management. A UK publication (2004) emphasised the proactive role TLs must play in innovations for education, which supports the positions held by Bonanno (2011) and Valenza (2010). Ultimately, TLs must be flexible and ready to adapt to the changing needs of the information landscape, and our function as information specialists is primarily an “educational as opposed to an administrative role” (Herring, 2007, p.32). Drawing from Herring’s analysis, I conclude that our role in collection management and as information service providers should be framed by our role as information specialists, and determined by the interests and needs of our school community – staff, students, and parents alike. Teacher Librarians are no longer limited to books but must expand into the digital world to ensure that we are relevant to our community, effectively promoting our skills, services, and resources, and engaging our students with meaningful opportunities to participate in their own learning.

Purcell (2010) boils our function down to five key roles: leader, instructional partner, information specialist, teacher, and program administrator. Information clearly plays a role in many of these areas, supporting Sheerman’s argument that “A TL’s primary role is that of an information specialist, trained in the teaching and integration of information literacy skills and inquiry skills across the curriculum, as well as being a library collection manager” (2013, p.4). Although books certainly do play a part as tools of teaching and learning, they are not explicitly mentioned in either Purcell’s or Sheerman’s analysis.

I thought Purcell’s idea to keep a diary of each day’s required tasks was a great way to understand how these roles function in my school context and to help me understand how better to serve the specific needs of my community. I’d actually read Purcell’s article as preparation for my first ETL401 assessment, so it was interesting to revisit her arguments now that wider reading has granted me a (hopefully) deeper understanding of the TLs position in schools. In particular, her emphasis on the need for TLs to effectively promote themselves and their library was instrumental in developing my line of inquiry for the second ETL401 assessment task, where I explored the way that social media platforms influence our relationship with information and each other, and the implications that this has for TLs.

In her 2011 deconstruction of the TL’s varied roles, Lamb used the acronym PALETTE to examine the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and dispositions we will need moving into the future. Her concept of the Media Specialist’s PALETTE included a focus on: People; Administration; Learning; Electronic information; Technology; Teaching; and Environments. Interestingly, Lamb also identified the importance of promotion and advocacy in this changing environment: “If the school media specialist is to survive … [they] must demonstrate their value” (p.35). While they don’t state it explicitly, both Purcell and Lamb emphasise that modern TLs play vital roles as Social Media Manager, Customer Engagement Analyst, and Chief Marketing and Promotions Director.

I thought that it was interesting that Valenza’s 2010 “Revised Manifesto” was published around the same time as Bonanno’s 2011 ASLA speech, since both emphasised that attitude is a key element to the TL’s success: “not moving forward is not an option” (Valenza, 2010, para. 3). There was clearly a significant amount of ennui and existential angst amongst TLs at the start of this decade! Valenza was one of the few authors who explored the idea of reading in the context of the TL’s role, yet interestingly the focus was still not on traditional books, but instead shifted to encompass new technologies and formats: “You expand your notion of collection” (para. 40). Valenza’s manifesto, similar to so many discussed previously, discussed how TLs must be flexible, innovative and relevant regarding the changing information landscape, our collection development, our commitment to providing equitable access for all students, the importance of collaborating with our audience at all levels, teaching and modelling ethical information behaviours, implementing new technologies in meaningful ways, providing opportunities to professionally develop our staff (this was in line with Sheerman’s 2013 Guided Inquiry approach), and to provide opportunites for our students to become lifelong learners. While I fundamentally disagreed with the premise that we should be actively available 24/7, there were nonetheless a variety of useful, practical suggestions in this manifesto which I can see myself testing or adapting in future.

As Herring so astutely noted, “it is clear that no teacher librarian could fulfill all of these roles at the same time” (2007, p.31). I wholeheartedly agree as I sit here fighting down the rising tide of panic at the thought of being everything, to everyone, at all times. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Just between you and me, I found it interesting that (in addition to limited references to books) none of these examinations referenced one of the most common functions I personally have been called upon to perform in my new capacity as TL: armchair psychologist, ersatz counsellor, and life-coach. The centrality of the TL to the school community (coupled perhaps with the misconception of abundant time) has led many students (and staff!) to seek out my advice for all manner of issues. While I am grateful to be trusted in this way and to have the potential to positively impact my school community through these meaningful connections, it does highlight one of the issues consistently raised in the above readings: that TLs MUST promote their services, skills, and resources effectively to dispel misunderstandings and misconceptions about our role. This promotion, in my school context at least, seems to be the biggest area of need and one from which all other aspects of the role spring. After all, I could have amazing, collaborative programmes and resources which will ultimately fail to make an impact if no one knows about them or engages with them. In order to facilitate this priority, I am working very closely with the lovely support and administration staff, the Communications Committee, and a newly minted Student Media Team. It is difficult considering the misconceptions around our position, but I am also trying to follow Herring’s advice and focus on my educational, not administrative role for the time being.

I will leave you with one final thought: a word cloud of this blog post. Hopefully this will visually illustrate the complex, varied, multifaceted roles expected of a modern teacher librarian. We aren’t just about the books; let’s liber-ate ourselves!