Curation – the final frontier

Curation – where I failed to go for so long

Many are in the same boat, but won't admit it.
Many are in the same boat, but won’t admit it.

I am at nearing the end of my learning journey in the Master of Education (Knowledge Networks and Digital Innovation) and I have to make a confession, I have only just finally grasped the importance of digital curation and how to do it well. Shocked, well don’t be, I suspect many of us are in the same boat.

Over the years I have stabbed at creating folders, spreadsheets, delicious lists, Evernote, Symbaloo, ScoopIt, Pearltrees, Pinterest and yes Diigo. I never really found my groove and felt it was too hard. It to be honest was very haphazard and peace meal to say the least; the reason is that I simply was trying too many different ways and not settling for one method, I had no method for stemming the flow of information and little idea how to keep track of important things I needed. Yes, no doubt about it curating done badly can be like herding cats, but trying to manage a good curated site is worth the effort.

A rich mosaic of information is at my fingertips thanks to curating.

The real trick is aggregating, using collective curation and tagging. I have limited myself down to two key curation tools and have linked with many different professionals them and have become part of an active community curating. Once I grasped this secret I was able to curate and save to my heart’s content and build a rich mosaic of knowledge that is at my fingertips. But it was not taught as part of our formal course at the beginning, my knowledge was all learnt and explored through informal learning networks. Now I am in my final two units the irony is I now understand and implore others to curate before it is too late, just to push that final point I leave you with a catch phrase :

Curate, it will help you create!

Curate, it will help you create!
Curate, it will help you create!

Editor note: I was asked in a response to this post, well what tools are you using? I have to say that I favor ScoopIt! as I’ve been using this for a very long time and have built up a good group of followers in that space, however I am also back to dabbling and am also enjoying PearlTrees, I bookmark with Delicious but am always aware that obsolescence is always just around the corner and online systems can go just as quick (for example Ning) for more information about obsolescence look at my post ‘You live, you learn, you upgrade‘. My take-away from this is that you will keep evolving, exploring and experiencing new tools to keep yourself current and relevant.

Crowdspoke (2011, June 7). Understand collective curation in under 90 seconds [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW775HIlVMg

2 thoughts on “Curation – the final frontier”

1. Hey Karen,
      Great question. I tend to use ScoopIt, as so many of my colleagues in the VET sector will use it so it made professional sense. I have to admit that I am also still dabbling with Pearltrees 🙂 I guess I am a sucker for trialing different software to support my work.
      Yvette