Participatory culture, do we dare to partake?

Though personally I really like the simplicity of Scratch and how engaging it can be, without the right direction and support it can turn into a classroom nightmare and turn students off a brilliant way introduce students to coding.

Mitchel Resmick- the director of the Lifelong Kindergarten MIT Media Lab says Scratch “teaches kids to think creatively, reason systematically and work collaboratively”. It is very important for our students to learn lessons from being able to fail in a safe and supportive environment. Game Based Learning (GBL) can support teachers in providing a safe space for students to work and learn from failure. But, this must come with a caveat attached, for students to fail and learn, teachers must at least have an idea of how to support students to succeed within the GBL environment. Prototyping methodology as outlined by Drew Davidson can be a powerful tool set in the hands of learners, especially if a teacher has taken the time to support students to develop their computational and design thinking skills. However, not all students start out on an activity with the same skill set, including problem solving, creativity and critical thinking skills so be must build their capacity first to assist them to achieve.

Support forms an important part of a GBL environment.

Recently I was invited into a classroom in Perth to watch a practicum student teacher present a session on coding to Year 8 students – the invite was from the practicum student as they know my background in mentoring technology in the classroom. Unfortunately for the practicum student teacher the lesson did not run according to their plan. Ultimately the session outcomes were not met key reasons for this were: there was only a little introduction to the topic; a very small amount of task description which was given verbally only to the students; no scaffolding; and poor support skills from the practicum student. The students in the classroom became frustrated as they really did not have a solid foundation for the task or what the teacher wanted them to achieve, this then resulted in the students becoming disengaged mid-lesson.

At the end of the session (after the students had left) I debriefed with the supervising teacher and practicum student about the session. My worry was the practicum student had become increasingly frustrated and angry with the students during the session as they became disengaged. The frustration stemmed from the students not grasping what was required of them and that they did not seem to have the skills to complete the task. I asked the practicum student about previous lessons that the students had in using the software and quickly discovered that this was the very first time it had presented to students and the practicum student was using a colleague’s lesson plan. As our conversation progressed about the topic I also realized that the key difference between how this lesson ran and her colleague’s lesson was that her colleague had taken the time to learn the software, worked up an example for the students to get an understanding of what was required and put in some solid learning outcomes.

With effort the story completed with an excellent ending.

Now from this story there is a happy ending. I was invited back to support the practicum student in presenting another session to the same group of students – this was at my suggestion. We really took the time to structure an example, demonstrated the techniques that were required to be used to create the digital output (ie. wire frame, story boarding and coding skills) gave the students a solid understanding of what was required for them to achieve. The practicum student and myself then became guides on the side for the remainder of the lesson to support the students as required. The result for the practicum student was that the class achieved all the outcomes, a complete turnaround to the previous. All the students had achieved and were excited to continue on with the next lesson. By investing the time to support and engage with learners and to demonstrate prototyping learning design.

To me this basic failure of the teacher to use effective teaching strategies just because she was using technology was the primary issue. I do believe however, that we need to support teachers in learning how to play and engage with technologies as well as support them to develop their own computational thinking and design thinking skills. By investing in our teachers we are investing in the students.

Creativity forms an important part of computational thinking and design thinking.

Students still find it difficult to creating new technologies and expressing themselves with technology. We need to support students to develop design thinking skills to support them in creating in new and different ways. Students will become familiar in technologies without a teacher always standing over them to make sure that they are using the technology exactly the same way the teacher would.

Recently I have encouraged a peer to reform a Community of Practice for the Adult Literacy and Numeracy area of the WA VET sector, which has been launched because of my support. This is exactly what peerography represents for me.

I think Samuel Beckett sums up the need to build resilience and safe failure into our teaching with his thoughts on the necessity of failing to eventually achieve:

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

6 thoughts on “Participatory culture, do we dare to partake?”

1. Thank you for sharing this very important teaching moment Yvette. Firstly, it touches on the importance of failure, for without the unsuccessful initial delivery of the coding lesson, the in-depth debrief and further exploration of both the students’ and the practicum teacher’s frustration would not have happened. Secondly, focusing on the teaching strategy rather than the tool/software itself was fantastic to see and to end with a happy ending, even better.

1. Thank Kath, it was just such an important learning moment with regards to digital technology use in the classroom that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share.
      It is interesting snapshot in how a failure and personal reflection can really make us better teachers AND learners.

2. Hi Yvette. Thanks for your post about the importance of good teaching no matter what the context. I want to focus on your plea for the “…need to support teachers in learning how to play and engage with technologies”. I am a big fan of serious play, and have introduced new digital technologies into classrooms in the past through play time, where the students and I would spend time exploring the possibilities and challenges of a technology tool, then share this learning in a “show and tell” discussion at the end of the lesson. I think this is a good way to model teachers as learners and students as teachers. I love the idea of giving students and us the time and space to take risks and fail, however, in school communities and systems where academic achievement is measured in test scores, taking the time to take risks is a risky endeavour itself.

I am a fan of the FAIL acronym, and like to make use of it often by directly referring to it, or having it on display in a teaching space:
    F irst
    A ttempt
    I n
    L earning

1. Jo, I love that FAIL acronym. From a VET perspective where all learning leads to competency and you are only even not yet competent it is such an important learning mechanism that we can take all our learners on.
      I do like serious games and in my chapter of the Game Based learning compendium – VET Trade Training be prepared to be simulated http://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/gblcompendium/ I did discuss how Serious Game Based Learning (SGBL) affordances support learners in a safe space to fail and learn from their failing, rather than fail in a critical life situation.
      Cheers
      Y

3. Hi Yvette, what a great story. I think this reinforces some of the things Julie discusses such as: Teachers in the digital age are becoming increasingly aware of the necessity of using technology to support both higher-order and future-proof learning in their practice, yet what is often overlooked are the difficulties experienced in altering pedagogy and curricula to reflect these needs (Lindsay, 2015).
    The prac student in this story learned such valuable lessons about the need for strong pedagogy when using technology including having an authentic knowledge of software used, modeling techniques to students and being a “guide-on-the-side”. Thanks for sharing this experience . Helen

1. Helen, I love the guide on the side approach. As teachers/trainers it is a skill we have to develop not only to support upcoming teachers but also to allow our learners to develop independent thinking and learning skills. By doing this we will help set them up to be life-long learners (with or without technology).
      🙂
      Y