ETL504-Leadership

ETL504 – Leadership

My studies in this subject thus far have been very enlightening. I have worked in several large organisations, both in the education sector and private enterprise.  I must admit my thoughts in terms of leadership in these places of employment were usually in terms of whether the boss was a “good leader/boss” or “bad leader/boss”, ie whether they treated their staff in a friendly compassionate way, or whether their saw their role as a dictatorial one.  Apart from viewing them as having “good’ or “no people skills” I never really analysed what was happening in terms of their leadership style. In fact, prior to commencing this subject I never really thought of a person having a particular “leadership style”.

I found the readings from Marzano, Waters & McNulty especially interesting and educational.  The features of a transformational leadership is particularly relevant in a school environment and other business enterprises; and looking back I can recall having a least one “transformational leader”, although I didn’t realise that’s what was happening at the time!  Within the school environment however, I can see that many of the leadership styles as well as transformational would be relevant; including instructional (being able to give clear concise instructions and direction is particularly important at a school), servant (having the desire to help and assist others, particularly your students) and transparency (being open and transparent in your dealings at all times) to name some.

I believe in order to be a good leader, it is necessary to be able to apply a combination of several different styles, including those mentioned above, and be flexible enough to adapt these leadership styles to suit the situation at the time.

Marzano, R.J., Waters, T., & McNulty, B.A> (2005).  Some theories and theorists on leadership. School leadership that works: From research to results (PP. 13-27). Alexandria, Va.:Assocition for Supervision and Curriculum Development.  From www.csu.au.eblib.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/patron/Read.aspx.