Designed for a purpose: 1.3

Recently I had coffee at a restaurant/bar – not my usual haunt, and not in my home city. A ‘one-off’ experience, therefore I have not been able to revisit to check my sketch.

Restaurant/bar - Design sketch

Restaurant/bar – Design sketch

I have chosen this space because I think the design works seamlessly. No obtrusive signage to designate the entry – a natural flow. Upon entering the restaurant/bar, there isn’t ambiguity about where to sit, what procedure to follow; rather a clear entry with a meet ‘n greet space.

Location: ground level, offices above

Location: ground level, offices above

The layout offers difference according to the possible needs of the clients. Space to sit unobtrusively and work on mobile devices or discuss with clients, space for intimate coffees/meals, space for ‘buzz’ – stools and long tables, space for families enjoying the outdoors. Most of the spaces can be easily reconfigured to meet client needs.

Different seating spaces

Different seating spaces; use of potted plants

The climate and the natural environment have been included in the design. The restaurant/bar is long and relatively narrow, with half of the long side opening entirely thus bringing the outside in and creating an open space. The outside space is a public thoroughfare, and the natural barrier is a garden: a long narrow design with mass planting of limited species [I think two?]. This space creates a garden feel, safe for young families as it leads into a public urban green space. Natural lighting has been utilized, and the outside natural environment is linked to the inside with the use of plants in pots. These plants have similar symmetry to those in the  outside gardens, which I think reflects continuity.

View from public urban space

View from public urban space

Accoutrement is old and new. Interesting bold, colourful and contemporary artworks are juxtapositioned alongside the recycled timbers [feature wall] and recycled barb wire light shades.

Use of recycled timbers

Use of recycled timbers

Use of recycled barbed wire

Use of recycled barbed wire

The pathway for staff to deliver and collect seems to work without incident as the space allows for clear movement. The position of the rest rooms is clear, but unobtrusive. The pay point is clear and unobtrusive.

Altogether, I feel that the design of this restaurant/bar works well, and subconsciously delivers a positive experience for the clients. It feels uncluttered and spacious.

Spaces to suit a variety of needs

Spaces to suit a variety of needs

… And the coffees and chai tea equalled my thoughts on the design!

About plee

I am a Teacher Librarian and Learning Technologies Co-ordinator at a Catholic Primary School in Sydney's Hills District.
This entry was posted in design and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Designed for a purpose: 1.3

1. emcintosh@csu.edu.au says:

There is SO much to learn from this for learning spaces, isn’t there? I’d love to see how you bring this in for Assignment 4 or 6. Fascinating starting points abound!