The first guest speaker in our colloquia series: Annabel Astbury from ABC Splash described this resource and the decision making behind it in a way that motivated me to revisit the site many times this week.
The discussion with Annabel carried many common threads of discussion with recent ideas and analytics I have heard shared at EDUTech, School Library PD’s and not forgetting the previous subjects in our course. These ideas ranged from
- The need for students to be content providers and makers,
- Relinquishing control sometimes to our collections,
- Personalisation of learning,
- Global education strategies including video conferencing,
- Listening to student voice for content decisions,
- Increase in use of mobile devices
The diminishing requests for technical help are interesting. I wonder if we as an audience are becoming more used to navigating websites or if we get help in other ways like asking another knowledgeable person ( maybe even Youtube).
I was particularly impressed by the partnerships ABC Splash had with such a high calibre and varied other organisations. Open source and sharing of information is growing – we will all only benefit for sure.