Blog Post #2

For this task I have taken a ‘snapshot’ of time – 9.15 Wednesday morning and observed the events occurring at the Library entrance.

The main events that are occurring simultaneously are:

• Groups of students working with parents are just finishing their reading group time and are exiting the library through single glass door
  • A class of 25 students are entering the single glass door into the reading area ready for me to begin a story.
  • Another group of students arrived at the circulation desk through the single glass door requesting their new reading books (currently stored upstairs)
  • A further group of students have also arrived to request to roll out the 4 laptop trolleys to their classroom. The laptop trolleys are bolted to the floor at the back of the reading area. The key is located behind the circulation desk.
  • A third smaller group of students have also arrived to take 12 iPads to their classroom. The iPads are also located in a locked charging cabinet at the side of the reading area. They will need to be unlocked and the chargers released.

I hope that my sketch below will provide a graphic illustration of these events!

Library design

Comment on Ronnie’s Blog

Comment on Patricia’s Blog

Comment on Katies Blog

7 thoughts on “Blog Post #2

1. Wow! A lot going on in what looks like a smallish space. The potential for issues arising out of congestion looks high.
    Question: how many staff are available to assist with the equipment and book requests?
    It looks to me that some thinking about the experience for all involved could make for a smoother changeover.
    K-space: people arrive and leave simultaneously; there is equipment to be managed and moved. Equipment is stored in a particular place. Equipment required specific input before it can be moved.
    I think there are a number of areas where some thinking in the concept area could be productive – aspects of time, infrastructure, location, alternative entrance/exit etc.
    My understanding of C-K theory is still developing but I found this blog post helpful:

2. Margo – this sounds really busy! I am curious about how many staff are working with you to manage all these demands? Is the actual doorway and thoroughfare near the desk chaotic and crowded at this time?

3. Margo,
    I concur with Lisa in that it definitely sounds like a congested area at 9:15 am.
    The Dear Architect article talked about four clear steps in their project, the first of which is discovery (e.g. orientation, generating insights and identifying needs) You’ve provided a nice orientation and insight into what happens at 9:15, and alluded to some needs, but if you had to prioritize needs, what would be on the top of the list?

4. Hi Margo – 9:15 certainly looks like a busy time for you! It must get congested at your single glass door! I have some questions which may help you with the next part of this task:
    How many Library staff are present at this time? (I’m guessing you’re it!) Are you the “Keeper of the Keys”, or are students able to access those keys without you? How can the request for equipment (iPads, laptops) be streamlined, so that you can focus on the 25 students who are sharing a story with you? Could they be unlocked before school so students can access them without having to take you away from those other 25 students? How can that tension between security of expensive equipment and easier access to that expensive equipment be resolved?

5. I agree with the consensus in the comment section that this space seems beautifully chaotic (I love to see libraries full of foot traffic), if not congested! I do hope there is more than just one person on staff. 🙂 My main questions are interconnected: Does anyone ever complain about needing a bit less commotion and a bit more quiet? Is there a quiet space for people who prefer that type of learning environment? If you are the only person on staff, does reading time (with the 25 students) ever get interrupted so you can attend to your other duties? There seems to be a lot of opportunity for design/service design thinking here! Thanks for sharing your observations with us.

6. Organised chaos … and out of the norm for a quiet library. Unfortunately some desks are fixed to the floor which limits your ability to create more space to allow traffic to move through. Maybe you need to request that staff obtain the iPads/laptops prior to school starting?

7. Hello Margo,

I agree with previous comments that this (smallish?) space appears to be of high end usage in your community at this time. Is this just a ‘rush period’ or do people flow in and out for most parts of the day? A lot of the questions raised by others above seem to reflect what Brown (2009) refers to “the blurring of lines between product and service, producer and consumer.”
    In saying that, the space is getting plenty of use, it means people must enjoy it.