The Importance of ‘About Me’

Alec Couros (@courosa) is an inspirational educator and someone that I am lucky enough to have as part of my professional learning network since 2010. I was fortunate to have some f2f time with him last November at the EARCOS Leadership Conference in Bangkok. Of the many things that I learned from Alec was to ensure that each of our students included an ‘About Me’ page on their school blog. It’s an obvious, but often overlooked, tip. As we publish to the world, our anonymous readers need context: who we are, where we come from, what our interests are and possibly what our motivation is for blogging. As we, ourselves, make judgements about materials that we that we find, particularly those online that haven’t been through a ‘traditional publishing process’, we should also be are that our readers might also like to understand more about us so that they, too, can make more informed judgements as to the authenticity, accuracy, perspective, possible bias and validity of what we share on our blog. My Grade 9 students now know who to blame for that additional piece of homework!