Student survey questions (feedback requested)

1

Posted by Liz Eckert | Posted in Other | Posted on September 23, 2015

I have included my draft questions for my student survey. This survey is using Surveymonkey. I am not sure that the formatting will translate when I publish this post, so please ignore the formatting errors. 

Mobile Phone Policy vs Practice Student Survey

Student survey

This survey is for students in a secondary schooling setting. The aim of the study that this survey is linked to is to investigate the question “To what extent does school policy match practice in terms of student’s mobile phones?” as a part of a Masters of Education with Charles Sturt University.

Please answer all questions honestly.

Thank you for your participation in this survey. The results may be published anonymously with any identifying data removed.

*1. In what education sector is your school?

*2. What state or territory of Australia do you live in?

*3. I am a student at Year

*4. Does your school have an official mobile phone policy document?

*5. Does your school’s mobile phone policy allows mobile phones to be used in the classroom?

6. On a scale of 1 to 5, please rank your teachers enforcement of your school’s mobile phone policy on the following statements.

Strongly disagree Disagree Neither agree or disagree Agree Strongly agree
All my teachers enforce the school mobile phone policy
Some of my teachers ignore mobile phone use in the classroom
Some of my teachers allow mobile phone use in the classroom for specific circumstances (for example, in Maths my mobile phone is permitted to be used as a calculator)
My teachers do not enforce the school mobile phone policy at all

*7. On a scale of 1 (very concerned) to 5 (definitely not concerned), please rate how much you feel your school mobile phone policy is concerned with each of the following statements.

Very concerned Somewhat concerned Neither concerned or not concerned Somewhat not concerned Definitely not concerned Unsure
Reducing classroom disruptions
Maintaining security of members of the school community
Protecting student and staff privacy
Prevention of cyberbullying
Preventing cheating and academic dishonesty

*8. How distracting are mobile phones in the classroom for students?

9. Do you think your school’s mobile phone policy should allow educational use of your mobile phone in the classroom?

Comments (1)

Hi Liz,
Some great questions. It will be interesting to see how the students respond and if there are differences between the different states and territories.
Just wondering if you need to add in Q5 that the use is for academic purposes? At the minute the question just asks about use.
Possibly too make the language clear about what use means for Q6 in the question stem at the very start. Is use just using or is it for academic purpose.
Hope you get some great data.

Write a comment