Case Study Research – Mobile Phone Policies

0

Posted by Liz Eckert | Posted in INF537 | Posted on September 15, 2015

I’ve been a little under the weather lately (illness, marking and report writing) and I haven’t been getting into the research of mobile phone policies as much as I wanted to by now for my case study. Doing my research of policies so far has been through Twitter and Facebook groups.

Twitter:

I’ve tweeted out a request several times. I must remember to do this earlier in the day as well (or at least schedule earlier)

looking for mobile phone school policies (in Aust) – those that allow use in classrooms & no use in classrooms) #casestudy#INF537 PLS RT  https://t.co/k2mSRiO6BF

I haven’t had a huge response with helpful links/policies which is why I think I need to vary my timing. I have had a couple which are mainly from MEd (KN&DI) students.

Facebook Groups:

Tonight I finally found the time to write up the post that I wanted to outline what I was looking for from 3 different Teacher Facebook groups.

Hi all, I’m currently in my final subject of M Ed (Knowledge Networks & Digital Innovations) and my final assignment has me looking at mobile phone policies in practice {Actual Question= To what extent does school policy match practice in terms of student’s mobile phones?} I’m currently looking for school policies that allow mobile phones in class and do not allow mobile phones in class. If there’s an online link to school mobile phone policies that you can share to your school/previous school/s that would be great thanks (you can also PM me if you prefer). I will be looking at doing a survey for teaching staff and students at schools as well after reading a number of policies. I’m intending to focus on Australian schools (secondary or Foundation to 12 levels).

I’ve had a few responses, particularly on the Adelaide based group with policy links and people looking on their school websites to see if their school policy is on there. It has been interesting to hear of that a number of schools don’t have a mobile phone policy on their school website. In response to finding this out I’ve also said that I would be happy to have a scanned copy of their policy instead if that were possible. A number of the teachers have already said they are keen to do the survey when I’ve done it as well.

Other possible sources:

I’m also thinking that I will draft an email up for 2 e-lists (slasanet & oztlnet) that I am on to see if I can get some more electronic copies of mobile phone policies. I’m looking at doing this in the next day or so.

Another source that I was originally thinking of was the myschool website but if a reasonable number of schools do not post their policy on websites, that may take a lot longer for things to progress.

Write a comment