Blog Task 4: Creative Coffee Morning

Creative Bowling Night copy

I decided that in the spirit of creativity and making this project my own, I would branch out and try an event that was a little less coffee morning and a little more bowling night. Using the above poster as a marketing device, I was able to convince 8 people (a pretty small turnout, I know) to come join me at AMF Strike n’ Spare Lanes in Syracuse, NY.

creative bowling night

We had cheap, terrible beer (PBR was on special), bowled and discussed all things creative. One incredibly exciting outcome of the evening was that we collectively decided we wanted make creative sessions a monthly thing, at various venues. Next up is brunch at a favorite local restaurant called Alto Cinco. I realized that while I can’t always change the physical space of a place to meet my creatively inclined needs, and to help inspire ideas in others, I CAN ensure that I change the environment to facilitate the same sort of positive/creative learning outcome.

A few of the people who showed up for the event had backgrounds in early childhood development, and are studying to be School Media librarians so a discussion about creative redesigning of traditional spaces seemed to really resonate with them. Although many people were wary about being captured in photos/videos, I was able to capture a short video of the lovely Jessica Regitano, who was particularly excited about the Vittra School in Stockholm that did away with traditional classrooms and embraced open space, permeable borders and abstract landmarks (Chan, 2012). For those of you who haven’t heard about this school, or need a refresher the architects at Rosan Bach who are responsible for the innovative design had this to say to help clarify the space: “Instead of classical divisions with chairs and tables, a giant iceberg for example serves as cinema, platform, and room for relaxation, and sets the frame for many different types of learning, while flexible laboratories make it possible to work hands-on with themes and projects.” (Chan, 2012.)

And now, a word from Jessica:

The informality of this type of event and the fact that I had a key role in organizing made me super nervous. I also feel that it caused me to hold back some of my creative energy both in the event planning and actual execution. When I organize another one next month, I plan to let my imagination run wild. A key benefit to the informal creative bowling night was that everyone was on a level playing field (no one was standing up front and lecturing or presenting) and thus was easier for all attendees to offer up their thoughts and ideas without fear of a “wrong answer”, if you will. The planning of this event also caused me to realize that you don’t always need money, speakers or a fancy venue to host a successful event. Sometime, all you have to do is ask. All in all, a pretty fun experience and one that I definitely want to keep up with outside the confines of INF536!

Chan, K. (2012). Stockholm’s school without classrooms. Retrieved from http://architizer.com/blog/vittra/

5 Comments on Blog Task 4: Creative Coffee Morning

1. Lisa
    September 21, 2014 at 12:32 am (4 years ago)

Hi Liz,
    I love your adaption! Great to make a casual social event into an opportunity for creative discussions. We have seen repeatedly in our readings that aligning fun with creativity facilitates learning and this is what you have done. I was also really inspired by the Stockholm school and used it as a springboard for my creative chat; it certainly has broadened my thinking and whilst I agree about how daunting this activity was to initiate, I have also realised that it is great that we are using our knew knowledge to get others inspired and thinking creatively too.
    Lisa

Reply
  2. Liz Eckert
    September 21, 2014 at 7:21 am (4 years ago)

Liked your idea of the creative bowling. looked like you had a good time. It was a good spin on the creative coffee morning. Small number of people to start with to bounce ideas off of. I like your idea of trying out different venues for your soon to be regular, creative sessions.

Reply
  3. Heather
    September 21, 2014 at 7:22 am (4 years ago)

Hi Liz,
    Totally agree with Lisa, what a great idea.
    In a sense it’s not that different from the original creative coffee morning – the person who started the original one (can’t think of his name right now) recognised that the people he wanted to have creative conversations with would all enjoy going to a cafe for coffee (or tea) and so he designed an event to make that happen. That’s exactly what you have done but with bowling.
    Well done – I look forward to hearing about your next creative activity.

Reply
  4. Patricia Lee
    September 21, 2014 at 11:15 am (4 years ago)

Liz, like Heather and Lisa, I think your idea to adapt and go bowling is very creative, and since everyone enjoyed the event you have started something worthwhile. I too, look forward to hearing about the setting and outcomes of your next ‘creative coffee gathering’.
    Patricia

Reply
  5. meghastie
    September 22, 2014 at 8:09 am (4 years ago)

I don’t think I’m saying anything new to suggest that making it contextually relevant has been a great success – coffee is not everyone’s thing, nor is just sitting round and talking – any educational or psychology textbook would indicate that it’s a very feminised way to approach the event. A great job, I also drew on the Stockholm images – some people did giggle a bit at some of them. It may not work for us in our current context, but it’s about changing the way we educate as well as changing the spaces, as we’ve seen throughout the course.

Reply