Blog Task 3: Design Brief

Hi everyone! Here’s the link to the PDF of my Design Brief: Design Brief INF 536 .

Comments on other blog posts;

1. Jim’s blog post

2. Graham’s blog post

3. Matt’s blog post

5 Comments on Blog Task 3: Design Brief

1. Ronnie
    August 16, 2014 at 3:47 am (3 years ago)

Hi Liz I love your description of a harassed mother!
    looks like you’ve really immersed yourself
    Can I say that as an often business traveller can you put me in a place far away from your hanger? LOL

Reply
    • eacrowde@syr.edu
      August 19, 2014 at 2:34 pm (3 years ago)

Haha, I will add “soundproof walls” to my list of specific considerations! Thanks for commenting.

Reply
  2. Lisa
    August 16, 2014 at 4:12 am (3 years ago)

Hi Liz,
    I have not often flown with small children but now that I think of it, I think your concept could be something for some Australian airports also!! Sometimes the best on offer is a cafe where invariably it is near impossible not to increase the sugar load of that crazed child!! By considering a user who may be in the minority of airport travelers, you have considered the people at the ‘edges’ as Tim Brown discusses (referenced at http://rethinked.org/?)page_id=747) and avoided “concentrating solely on the bulge at the center of the bell curve” where “we are more likely to confirm what we already know than learn something new and surprising”. Considering how stressed, overly active children can have an impact on others, your ideas could be a win/win for other commuters as well.
    Lisa

Reply
  3. rmasaoka
    August 16, 2014 at 5:43 am (3 years ago)

Hi Liz, I think you have a great idea there! Making the space attractive to people with kids and for children. Travelling with children is not enjoyable mainly because they are largely unwelcome in airports or aeroplanes. Parents are often left apologising because their children are not acting like adults. I can imagine a lounge with a giant aeroplane and learning stations, colouring in tables, tablets and lots of outlets. I hope your idea “takes off” (excuse the pun).

Reply
  4. Heather
    August 17, 2014 at 10:39 am (3 years ago)

Hi Liz,
    What an evocative description of need – I’m convinced!
    I think you’ve done a terrific job with the design brief. Very thorough but not prescriptive – the right balance between being specific and allowing the designer room to move.

Reply