It is with considerable trepidation that I find myself on the brink of teaching Year 9 IT at my new school. This is leading me to launch out of my comfortable Art and Design zone for Assignment Two and into this daunting arena. As this is the first Year 9 cohort (it is a new school), there is no existing curriculum and no one else to seek guidance from on campus.

The Content Descriptors I will address from the Australian Curriculum draft Technologies – Digital Technologies Curriculum are as follows:
  • Design the user experience of a digital system, evaluating alternative designs against criteria including functionality, accessibility, usability, and aesthetics (ACTDIP039)
  • Create interactive solutions for sharing ideas and information online, taking into account social contexts and legal responsibilities (ACTDIP043)

I am planning to develop some beginner lessons in game design using an IPad application, Gabu Studio. My new school has incorporated a program of Self Directed Learning with two days devoted each week to this program. I see in this model considerable opportunity for cross curriculum perspectives and so my idea for this unit of work is to develop games that relate to content in another curriculum area of the student’s choice.

Australian Curriculum – Technologies/Digital Technologies http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/digital-technologies/curriculum/f-10?layout=1