My approach to the technologies used for my first assignment is consistent with the concerns raised by Chris Bigum in the chapter, “Schools and computers: tales of a digital romance”. I have simply considered an existing process – the demonstration and documentation of artwork development through a visual diary (traditionally a paper book), with a digital version of the same thing. Whilst it is a user friendly option, with many aspects that, in my opinion, improve the process and provide more options for students than the traditional model; it is not a leap into the use of technology in the classroom that will test new ideas and processes.
The concerns that Bigum raises resonate with my experience of technology in schools since the introduction of 1:1 in my school in 2010. Throughout that five years, I have seen teachers (myself regrettably included) and students do little other with technology that they were not already doing without. They have replaced book research with internet, handwriting with word processing, video/tv with projectors and whiteboards with electronic whiteboards. There is considerable convenience and certainly some improved efficiency in each of these aspects of technology use, but they are a long way from innovation.
Bigum raises ideas about popular technology and the likelihood it is banned at school. Fear of new technology, particularly in the hands of competent student users, often drives schools to ban and consider possibilities later. Later, as Bigum writes, maintains the position of school technology use as outdated.
As always in schools, time and competing demands impact significantly on the scope for development and progress. These are aspects that have led me to study a Masters qualification in Knowledge Networks and Digital Innovation, to provide a focused purpose for me to engage with new technology and investigate ways to improve learning with technology. Since starting six months ago, my study has enabled me to start processes to develop communities within the education sector in my area, to consider innovative use of technology in order that we may learn from each other and consider possibilities together. Professional Learning Communities are a proven approach to developing improved learning outcomes (Muhammad, 2009) and could be a successful way to share successes and ideas for integrating technology creatively, making it more our practice than an isolated entity.

Bigum, C. (2012). Schools and Computers: Tales of a Digital Romance. Transformative Approaches to New Technologies and Student Diversity in Futures Oriented Classrooms. L. Rowan and C. Bigum, Springer Netherlands: 15-28. Retrieved from http://site.ebrary.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/lib/csuau/docDetail.action?docID=10524693

Muhammad, A. (2009). Transforming School Culture: How to overcome staff division. Moorabbin: Hawker Brownlow Australia.