Convergence

To my knowledge, the school that I work at does not have an information literacy policy. We consider ourselves to be a 21st century school so this is something that I will definitely be looking more into. I don’t feel that we (staff at my school) discuss the IL approaches that we follow so it is therefore not consistent across our school. Obviously, in the context of my school, as per curriculum, it is being integrated across key learning areas but not explicitly addressed in terms of navigating through useful information without becoming overwhelmed. This is something that I feel is part of my role as the teacher librarian. Like Simpson, Walsh (2012) and O’Connell (2012), I think collaboration between educators will only benefit students understanding of IL. Therefore, I see the importance of ensuring that I start a collaborative discussion with my fellow teaching colleagues to formulate an information policy for our school which explicitly meets the needs of our school’s students.

O’Connell, J. (2012). Change has arrived at an iSchool library near you.Information literacy beyond Library 2.0.

Simpson, A. & Walsh, M. (2012). The impact of technology on reading practices for 21C learners. Scan; v.31 n.1 p.34-39; February 2012. Retrieved from: http://search.informit.com.au.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/fullText;dn=191036;res=AEIPT