Digital Scholarship

According to Boyer, scholarship is the generating and acquiring of knowledge through research or teaching and involves four functions: discovery, integration, application and teaching (Veletsianos, 2012). Unsworth describes the basic functions of scholarship as discovering, annotating, comparing, referring, sampling, illustrating and representing (Weller, 2011). These activities can be carried out in a traditional analogue manner or enacted using digital tools and workflows. Contemporary scholars are using technology, to varying degrees, to undertake the scholarship activities that Boyer describes.

When I included this paragraph in my digital scholarship interpretive discussion paper it prompted me to reflect on my own digital practices. How have I enacted these functions in my own scholarly activities at CSU over the past three years?

Discovery:

• Use CSU online library catalogue to search and discover online books and journals
  • Use Google Scholar to search and discover online resources
  • Use search engines, RSS and social media to discover resources
  • received guidance/mentoring by academic subject coordinators

Integration:

Application:

• Blogging
  • Forum discussions on Interact2 learning management system (LMS)
  • Online collaborative meetings with Blackboard
  • Twitter – chats, personal learning network (PLN) and discovery
  • Curation – Pearltrees, and Diigo
  • CSURU online global collaborative activity
  • Cultivation of my digital identity

Teaching:

• Produced a learning module (collaboratively) for teacher professional development
  • utilised a variety of open resources developed by other educators

My studies at CSU have contributed greatly to me being an open, digital and networked scholar (Weller, 2011). Before my studies, as a teacher librarian, I was already sharing openly online (mainly in the area of curation) and had begun to develop a personal learning network (PLN) but I have been exposed to so many more possibilities in the last three years.

Is your experience similar or different to mine? What tools would be in your digital scholarship toolkit?

My digital Scholarship Toolkit  
https://www.symbaloo.com/mix/digitalscholarship

Veletsianos, G., & Kimmons, R. (2012). Assumptions and challenges of open scholarship. 2012, 13(4), 24. doi:10.19173/irrodl.v13i4.1313

Weller, M. (2011). The digital scholar. [Kindle version]. London: Bloomsbury Academic. Retrieved from http://www.amazon.com.au

2 Comments on Digital Scholarship

1. lnash
    September 3, 2017 at 3:39 am (1 year ago)

Hi Karen, it has certainly been a worthwhile topic to reflect on our own digital scholarship. In terms of my case study too I am thinking about Boyer’s concepts. The function of discovery has really changed hasn’t it. In the past it was search a library catalogue but now we use our networks to not only discover but share and communicate for the purpose of building more insights. Our use of Flipgrid and Voice thread in this course has been another great way to discover and gain more insights. I also see things like Blogging and Twitter could be in both categories of Discovery and Application.

In my digital tool kit I would probably include Pinterest, Google+ and my personal favourite curation tool now – Pocket.
    Emma answered a post I had questioning how many communities of practice can you meaningfully belong too and I really liked what she said about it being personal and dependent on your goals. I agree with Emma and each to their own. While it is always good to try our new tools, if something works better for you go with that. But then the beauty of our open digital scholarship is that we can share and see how these work and then pick the best ones for our own use.
    I forgot about Symabloo so thanks, I think I will start reusing that again.

Reply
    • kmalbon@internode.on.net
      September 3, 2017 at 4:13 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for adding your thoughts Lisa. I agree that some scholarly activities fit into more than one of Boyer’s categories. You reminded me of a couple of tools that I should add to my Symbaloo. Some tools I use regularly and others on rare occasions for specific projects (just like Emma’s comment about communities of practice being for certain goals).

Reply