On the Horizon

Last week I perused the most recent NMC/CoSN Horizon Report: 2016 K-12 Edition and identified the trends and developments in educational technology I think are related to game based learning.

Trends

• Coding as Literacy is a short-term trend for adoption in one to two years
  • Students as creators is a short-term trend for adoption in one to two years
  • Collaborative learning is a mid-term trend for adoption in three to five years
  • Redesigning learning spaces is a long-term trend for adoption in four to five years
  • Rethinking how schools work is a long-term trend for adoption in four to five years

Developments in technology

• Makerspaces is near term (1 year or less)
  • Virtual reality is mid-term (2-3 years)

As you can see from the image below, a significant number of trends and developments in technology could involve game based learning. Of particular interest to me as a teacher librarian are Makerspaces. Makerspaces are found in school and public libraries and can support game based learning, STEM and 21st century skills. With this in mind I intend exploring games throughout this subject that could be included in a library Makerspace.

NMC/CoSN Horizon Report: 2016 K-12 by Adams Becker, S., Freeman, A., Giesinger Hall, C., Cummins, M., and Yuhnke, B. (2016). Available at http://cdn.nmc.org/media/2016-nmc-cosn-horizon-report-k12-EN.pdf CC BY 4.0

Another area I am interested in exploring is storytelling and games. Writing is a focus at my school this year so this news report How a nonprofit is using video games to strengthen students’ writing skills caught my attention. I feel that this report has clarified the direction I should be heading as a teacher librarian in relation to game based learning.