TweetDeck

As a regular Twitter user I decided to explore TweetDeck to determine whether it would streamline my Twitter experience. TweetDeck is a dashboard application that helps users manage their Twitter account. Using columns, you can follow hashtags, individual accounts, lists, what is trending and more. I found this brief video useful in getting started with TweetDeck.

Retrieved from https://youtu.be/MaFF-uy3XqE

Before starting this subject I would scroll through my Twitter feed and check on a few favourite hashtags using the Twitter application. I had tried Hootsuite and knew about TweetDeck but only used them a couple of times to participate in Twitter chats. I decided to commit to using TweetDeck regularly to determine whether I should add it to my digital toolkit.

I set myself some Twitter goals at the start of the session:

• ask questions
  • follow hashtags
  • reply to Tweets
  • participate in Twitter chats
  • use TweetDeck daily

Using TweetDeck made following hashtags very easy by adding columns. See image below. TweetDeck saves me having to search for hashtags over and over again. I can simply dip in and out of hashtags when I need to. After a bit of practice TweetDeck was also great for Twitter chats. I was very disappointed to find out that TweetDeck does not have an iPad app. You can use TweetDeck in a browser on mobile devices but an app would be more convenient. I still have not got into the habit of using TweetDeck on my iPad and tend to tap on the iPad app instead. There are other features such as scheduling tweets and managing multiple accounts that I do not use at this stage but I will take advantage of these if the need arises.

tweetdeck

Click image to enlarge

Using TweetDeck has become a daily habit and is now part of my personal knowledge management strategy (Jarche, 2013). My Twitter goals seem easier to achieve using TweetDeck. One day something better or different may replace it but for now it fulfils its purpose of helping me to manage the Twitter flow.

Jarche, H. (2013). PKM in 2013. Life in perpetual beta. Retrieved March 8, 2014, fromhttp://www.jarche.com/2013/01/pkm-in-2013/

2 Comments on TweetDeck

1. Emma
    October 8, 2016 at 7:44 am (3 years ago)

I find Tweetdeck the most useful site for reading twitter too Karen, however, I am much more likely to read twitter through my phone as it’s more convenient. It would be great if there was a simpler way of participating in tweetchats using a mobile device as I always find it hard to keep up!

Reply
    • kmalbon@internode.on.net
      October 8, 2016 at 8:48 am (3 years ago)

Hi Emma
      In a reply to my forum post, Andrew Press suggested Plume for Android phones and Hootsuite for iPhone. I have an iPhone but haven’t tried it out yet.

Reply