My First Teachmeet

Encouraged by fellow CSU student Heather Bailie I participated in my first Teachmeet in July. The Melbourne Immigration Museum hosted the event where educators take ownership of their own personal learning and meet face-to-face to share their ideas, strategies and tools by presenting or simply attending. Presenters can sign up for a 2 minute or 7 minute slot. I co-presented with Heather on Ethical Participation in the Digital Environment, a wiki we collaboratively created along with Amanda Lucas and Glenda Morris for ETL523, Digital Citizenship in Schools.

Heather speaks about the benefits of participating in Teachmeets in this video.

Retrieved from https://youtu.be/JW-ENj1h6LY

Leading up to the Teachmeet, we did a Google Hangout to plan our presentation and kept in touch using Twitter. We both promoted the Teachmeet to our personal learning networks (PLNs) on Twitter and Facebook.

Teachmeet Melbourne uses a wiki to organise and promote upcoming events. Teachmeet Melbourne is also on Twitter as @Teachmeet Melbourne and uses the hashtag #TMMelb so that the community can continue to engage virtually. This is a great example of computer networks mediating communication and linking people (Siemens, 2008).

I was a bit nervous because I had not presented outside of my own workplace before but I need not have worried. Everyone at the Teachmeet was so welcoming and the atmosphere was informal and relaxed. Presenting at the Teachmeet also led to me being approached to be part of a panel of presenters at an ALIA Schools seminar in August (thanks to Heather recommending me).

These two presenting experiences have given me a new found confidence that what I know and can share is valuable to others. I met new people in person and will continue to follow or connect with them online and leverage these weak ties (people outside my usual social network) when I need them (Pegrum, 2010). My PLN is expanding and I am becoming more active by participating, sharing and connecting rather than just consuming and lurking.

Pegrum, M. (2010). ‘I Link, Therefore I Am’: Network literacy as a core digital literacy. In E-Learning and Digital Media, 7(4), 346-354.

Siemens, G. (2008, September 28). A brief history of networked learning. Retrieved from http://elearnspace.org/Articles/HistoryofNetworkLearning.rtf

6 Comments on My First Teachmeet

1. Julia
    September 29, 2016 at 1:29 pm (3 years ago)

Great work, Karen! I’m sorry I missed the Teachmeet. I’ve been to a few and have found them informative and fun. It’s a nice contrast to learning and participating online. Thanks for the link to your Copyright Wiki. We have been discussing copyright at work recently and this will be a valuable resource to work with.

Reply
    • kmalbon@internode.on.net
      September 30, 2016 at 10:31 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Julia. It is very rewarding that our ETL523 collaborative wiki is a useful resource for others. Hope to see you at a Teachmeet in the future. Do you go to the Melbourne Teachmeets or does Ballarat have them too?

Reply
  2. Emma
    October 8, 2016 at 7:47 am (3 years ago)

Wow! I’ve always wanted to attend a Teachmeet but have been too nervous too. Your experience has inspired me to be more proactive and ensure I attend the next one that pops up. Is there a way to find out about these other than the Twitter hashtag?

Reply
    • kmalbon@internode.on.net
      October 8, 2016 at 7:53 am (3 years ago)

Hi Emma
      This is the wiki for Teachmeet Melbourne http://teachmeetmelbourne.wikispaces.com/
      I hope to go to the one at Scienceworks on November 13. I might even get up the courage to present on digital curation using my INF532 artefact as inspiration.

Reply
  3. Heather
    October 10, 2016 at 1:27 am (3 years ago)

Hi Karen,
    Nicely summed up! You definitely have a lot to offer and what you share is valuable.
    Always a shock seeing my face on a webpage but I’ll forgive you!!
    Cheers,
    Heather

Reply
    • kmalbon@internode.on.net
      October 10, 2016 at 7:37 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for your forgiveness 😉 I have signed up to present at the Scienceworks Teachmeet in November.

Reply