Looking into the Future

I have just read the NMC Horizon Report 2016 K-12 edition and have been thinking about how the trends, developments in technology and challenges will impact on school libraries and teacher librarians.

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-12-58-54-pm

Adams Becker, S., Freeman, A., Giesinger Hall, C., Cummins, M., and Yuhnke, B. (2016). NMC/CoSN Horizon Report: 2016 K-12 Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

I foresee the school library playing a resourcing and support role in the areas the school chooses to implement.
The trends I think libraries will play a significant role in are:

• Students as creators – ensuring staff and students understand copyright, ethical use of information and Creative Commons
  • Deeper learning approaches – supporting and resourcing inquiry-based, project-based, collaborative and self-directed pedagogies

The developments in technology I think libraries will play a significant role in are:

• Online learning – working collaboratively with teachers to design digital resources that can be accessed anywhere and anytime
  • Makerspaces – these spaces already feature in many school libraries. Teacher librarians can also assist in the setting up of makerspaces in other areas of the school by providing research and resources

The challenge I think libraries will play a significant role in is:

• Advancing digital equity – internet access, computer access, access to other technologies and to a teacher librarian can be provided by the school library

View an introduction to the NMC Horizon Report 2016 K-12 edition here

Retrieved from https://youtu.be/wmiLrK-nF7k

4 Comments on Looking into the Future

1. Emma
    September 22, 2016 at 4:09 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for sharing this Karen. I wasn’t aware that report was out yet. I agree with the aspects you’ve identified as being linked to the teacher-librarian’s role particularly in how they can be used to enhance digital equity. I can also see librarians playing a key role in worked towards a solution to truly personalising learning due to their skills in content curation and navigating digital information systems. I am also pleased after reading the report to see that as far as my current school is concerned we are well on the way to solvable, near term and mid term goals. How do you feel your school is placed to contend with these anticipated developments and challenges?

Reply
  2. kmalbon@internode.on.net
    September 22, 2016 at 5:29 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for your comments Emma and it is pleasing that both our schools are rising to the challenges. I have seen a great deal of change in the last three years at my school. It is a K-12 independent school and the overall pedagogy is still teacher centred but there are shifts starting to take place. BYOD, coding, robotics, flipped classrooms and blended learning are happening. Makerspaces tend to be in art and design areas with the libraries dabbling in smaller craft type projects. Learning spaces have been redesigned (not radically) as part of a major building masterplan. The infrastructure is in place yet much hinges on school leadership and curriculum priorities.

Reply
  3. Julia
    September 25, 2016 at 1:45 pm (3 years ago)

Nice post, Karen. I haven’t had a chance to read the report yet – will get to it soon. My school is certainly moving in the right direction in many of the areas you mention above. As a TL I’m particularly interested in not only “working collaboratively with teachers to design digital resources” but also to curate the digital resources that have been developed by teachers that we haven’t had anything to do with. It concerns me that some great resources are created that sometimes leave the school when the teacher leaves because they haven’t been effectively managed. Of course this has always happened but with digital resources, things are easier to share and it gives us TLs an opportunity to acknowledge others’ work in an appropriate manner.

Reply
    • kmalbon@internode.on.net
      October 7, 2016 at 11:17 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing your ideas on curation of teacher’s resources. You make a good point but it is a tricky to implement one and I will have to give it some thought. Do you have any ideas on how this could be achieved? Perhaps it is something we could discuss further now that we are part of each other’s PLN?

Reply