Connected Learning and the VCE

At times I get frustrated working at a senior campus where all the students are undertaking their Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE). The VCE is focused on outcomes and involves covering a lot of content in a short space of time. The opportunity for connected learning is severely limited in many subjects. Despite this constraint, some teachers are using some connected learning principles when they have the chance. The opportunity to use connected learning is greater in subjects such as art and media where personal interests are drawn upon and are more product centred.

While the theory of connected learning is new to me, I realise I have been witnessing it in school libraries throughout my career. In the mid 1990s, students who loved playing computer games would devour the library’s magazines and books about computer games. There were students who borrowed fiction books heavily and then spent their lunchtimes writing fan fiction. I can even recall getting a student to write a small computer program for the library so we could randomly draw names for a raffle prize during Children’s Book Week. From my reading these appear to be examples of connected learning.

While connected learning at the VCE level is currently limited, I see that I have a role to play in promoting the principles and supporting teachers and students with the challenges.

I found the videos at The connected Learning Research Hub helped my understanding of connected learning and I plan to share them with my colleagues.

Connected Learning

Credit: Connected Learning Research Network and Digital Media & Learning Research Hub

Creative Commons License This Connected Learning Infographic is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License