Assessment 1 – Blog Post 1

Current knowledge
I am comfortable working and living in a digital world. At home and at work I use a variety of digital tools and cannot imagine being without my computer, iPad, iPhone and digital SLR camera. I addition I have a Smart TV, Apple TV, Tivo, Kindle and a variety of software applications to support my hobbies, work and study. One part of the digital world that has never appealed to me is gaming. I can see the benefits gaming has to education and am open to learning more about it.

Photography is important to me and it is an area very susceptible to the digital dark age I enjoy the process of taking photographs, digitally processing them and digitally sharing them. I am paranoid about losing my digital files and have multiple back ups stored in different locations and still print many of my photographs as small prints or make photo books. I believe it is important to format shift. At the beginning of my career in the early 1990s, I worked as an audio-visual librarian and dealt with different video formats. Our library even had a videodisk collection, a technology that was quickly overtaken by DVDs. Bollacker (2010) did remind me to consider the issue of the loss of software to read files. It would be terrible to have all your files saved but have no means of making them into actual photographs or usable documents.

I tend to agree with Nichole Pinkard who said in the video Rethinking learning: the 21st century learner (MacArthur Foundation, 2010, December 1) “I think kids are born consuming media but I don’t think kids are born producing media”. She believes that children are not born digital natives but are influenced or inspired to produce digital media by a parent, friend or an opportunity presented to them. In my current work situation I think most students would be learning about digital media away from school. Opportunities at school are increasing but have been limited up until recently. I am still coming across teenagers in my library who are not comfortable dealing with technology and ask for guidance to print, photocopy and use software. I think it is naive to assume that all teenagers are experts in today’s digital environment.

Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xa98cy-Rw&feature=youtu.beContext of my learning

I am teacher librarian at the senior campus (VCE – years 11 and 12) of a multi-campus P-12 independent school. Our library staff are spread across campuses so we work independently and as a team.  My focus will be on the impact and use of digital and mobile technologies in a secondary school setting. I like experimenting with a variety of tools and working out which are most useful. I enjoy teaching others about technology and willingly share my learning at my workplace and on social media. I have promoted websites such as Europeana, Google Books and Trove to students and staff at my school.

Personal aims
I want my students to be critical and ethical 21st century learners with print and digital resources. I want to help teachers make decisions about tools, resources and strategies to utilise with their classes. My aim is to broaden my knowledge of the theory and examine the practical applications of a digital learning environment so that I can become a digital leader.

Challenges
There will be challenges. How do I transfer this knowledge to my workplace. How do I encourage time poor teachers to embrace change and in turn get their students to embrace change. How do I influence my school to address the needs of 21st century learners?  How can I become an effective leader in digital media and literacy?

Bollacker, K. D. (2010). Avoiding a digital dark age. American Scientist, 98(3). doi: 10.1511/2010.83.106

MacArthur Foundation [macfound] (2010, December 1). Rethinking learning: the 21st century learner [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xa98cy-Rw&feature=youtu.be

1 Comment on Assessment 1 – Blog Post 1

1. Judy O'Connell
    March 20, 2015 at 5:29 am (4 years ago)

Our digital environment sounds a lot like mine! However, what is really nice to see is the sharp focus you are bringing to your own professional learning needs in the context of your current professional workplace and practices. This is so important, as it does keep us focussed very much on finding the authentic values to foster change and development. Good post, using the blog environment well, so you will be able to easily continue your reflective practice as you study and share with your cohort. Enjoy!

Reply