I visited the Academy of Global Citizenship (“ACG”) on Friday and witnessed a school using nature to create a more sustainable learning space. Check out the pictures on Flickr to get a sense of a school situated in an industrial area in the city of Chicago:
What might be the role of nature in helping create a more sustainable learning space?
– growing vegetables in an organic garden
– equiping a playground that produces renewable energy
– growing food for the community
– using recycleable products and reducing waste
– recylcing water with the use of rain barrels
How does designing “green” change the very nature of learning in our spaces?
Attending school which is self sustaining teaches students how to be self sufficient in their own lives. ACG’s goal is to show that world that schools can be net energy positive and has plans to build the first net energy positive school.