Little Wins

I’ve been having a bit of a battle with my Year 9 English class about blogging. Almost a month ago (in our subject twitter chat), I shared with the group that: 

Their argument centred on the fact that it was “their” work it should be up to them if that was shared. Julie noted: 

That’s a tough argument  to make to an emotional teenager.

Nowadays, the reality of our online lives is that we’re not 100% in control of what is said or posted about us and I think that’s what Julie was referring to in the stirring tweet above. 

Darren Kay and I expressed similar views in regard to Julie’s comment

So now to get you caught up. Keep in mind that we’ve had holidays so we’re not too far down the track!!!! 

After getting students to fill out a Google form to collate their blog addresses, I asked them if I could share their blogs with the class. As expected, there were a handful of students that needed a bit of extra motivation to share their work with their classmates but after a bit of convincing, I managed to get 95% on board.

Of the concerns raised, some new ones appeared… “My work isn’t up to scratch,” “why would someone want to read what I think,” or “I’m a terrible writer.”   

I think this is normal. The journey to becoming a connected learner happens at different paces for different students. I’ll continue to build trust and confidence, and the students will respond. Another member of my PLN had a similar experience  

I’ll keep you posted on more little wins.