Going Deeper

I’ve been meaning to blog about this for the past two weeks but it’s seemed to escape me until now.

For some time, I’ve considered myself a ‘connected educator’. I share my education opinions on social media and I look to connect with and learn from others as a means of improving my professional practice.

Often, these ‘connections’ to different nodes in my network can seem impersonal. You get a resource here… read an article there… you like or + someone’s tweet or post. At the end of the day, a lot of this communication doesn’t feel as personal as it could or should.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to have some time up my sleeve and happened to stumble upon a post from Julie asking for people to provide an authentic audience for some students. Without really thinking about it, I clicked on the link, expecting to be in a username on a list of hundreds watching some sort of live presentation. Imagine my surprise to find myself one of two people in a fuze meeting space with some very passionate students from Helensvale State High School. They skillfully presented a social justice initiative and took time to respond to my questions. The students then asked about what social justice issues students at my school were interested in or currently addressing and wanted to know if they could contact them to talk about their passions. How about that?…

Reflecting back, maybe I haven’t been as connected as I possibly could be. Could I be working harder to establishing stronger, more meaningful collaborations? Surely these learning opportunities and connections would provide greater learning avenues for my students.

My challenge now is to dig through the curriculum and see where it makes sense to collaborate with other groups and to strengthen the relationships that already exist within my PLN.
Oh and here’s the link to students’ GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/Projectsamoa