Hardware

flickr photo by Thomas Hawk http://flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/3048157616 shared under a Creative Commons (BY-NC) license

This blog post centers on some of the different types of hardware in my school.

Data projectors/Speakers: 

These are present in every classroom. Teachers use them for everything from scaffolding work, showcasing student work, demonstrating tech, group reading and watching videos.

MacBook Airs

We are a 1-1 school and have recently switched from MacBook Pros to the MacBook Airs. I’ve been playing with mine over the summer and have really enjoyed it! The only drawback is that it’s clear that this machine is not made for big video editing projects as it can be a little slow.

3D Printing

We recently acquired a 3D Printer! I’m very excited about this! One of my goals for next year is using it within my classes. I recently came across a website (3D Universe) that explored the opportunities of 3D printing in education. One of its suggestions was to print historical artifacts, people, and locations.

This hardware was introduced as a result of the school’s leadership trying to keep up with trends in education. To date, stakeholders have been happy with the changes. In particular, the 3D printer has been a hit with several students. After its introduction in the 4th term last year, a couple students elected to use it in their projects class. One student printed the casing for his Gameboy that he designed. 

5 Comments on Hardware

1. Amanda
    January 19, 2016 at 5:50 am (3 years ago)

Wow, I would love a 3D printer. The Science department have talked about creating a FabLab and then charging other schools to use it which would in turn pay for the 3D printer. Our school has a laser cutter and a vinyl printer which get a good workout.

Reply
    • julia
      January 28, 2016 at 5:45 pm (3 years ago)

This isn’t my area of expertise but a 3D printer would be an outstanding addition to student learning. I can really see how using a 3D printer to print items such as artifacts would really engage student learning.

Reply
  2. Jessica Hartung
    January 20, 2016 at 12:33 am (3 years ago)

I was also inclined to comment on this post because of the 3D printer! I have been very impressed with what I have seen of them outside of the classroom however it has not been something I had considered in an educational setting. I work with younger students so would likely not have an application for this technology as of yet, however I am very excited to hear about any other ideas you may have to use this technology in the classroom!

Amanda, I am also interested in the laser cutter technology. Again, this is something that I know to be very useful in shops and other roles, but not something I had considered for educational purposes. What kind of activities have these tools been used for? I think that the idea your science department has sounds like a very good strategy as well.

Reply
  3. Emma
    January 21, 2016 at 4:50 am (3 years ago)

Hi Jordan,
    Like Amanda and Jessica, it was your mention of 3D printers that drew me to comment. I was looking at the printers and talking excitedly to people about them at the DLTV conference last year. I had all these great ideas for how to use them with my class. I believe there could be some great real world applications for the creation of 3D models of inventions etc. That was before I realised how long the 3D printing process for one item actually takes, the conditions required for safe printing and how much the materials cost! Have you got any plans for how you will combat these issues when using the printers with your class?

Reply
  4. Zoe Booth
    January 25, 2016 at 5:37 am (3 years ago)

Hi Jordan

You are very lucky to have such resources in your school such as a 3D printer and macbook airs. I work at a range of schools from an elite private school with 1-1 student to macbook ratio and less advantaged comprehensive schools. One particular, very disadvantaged school where BYOD is just not an option, has just implemented class sets of iPads.

This benefit of implementing these iPads was because of the amount of resources available through apps, software and use of the internet. Therefore, for a small, disadvantaged school, these were more cost effective than buying laptops or installing more computer rooms. Another reason for implementing these iPads was due to the possibility of being able to make learning instant, more interesting and comfortable due to a new alternative learning space in the library complete with couches and been bags.

Reply