Web Based Resources

Here’s a list of a few web-based resources that I frequently use. Be sure to check out the ones you’ve never heard of!

Google Cultural Institute: All three sections (Historic Moments, Art Project and World Wonders) house powerful collections that can be used to reach educational outcomes. Recently, I’ve used it for students to showcase the living and working conditions in Australia around the twentieth century (a Year 9 AusVels outcome). Students were able to independently sift through photos, videos and other primary sources which on the Streets of Melbourne 1837-1935.

There are other features that can also be drawn upon to meet outcomes. Students can also create their own galleries to store images on desired topics. They can also walk through particular sections of museums, art galleries or historic sites. I’m sure to give my Year 12 Revolutions students a virtual tour of the Palace of Versailles.

Socrative

Is an online tool that allows teachers to facilitate a multiple choice, true or false and short answer questions to a classroom of students. In the past, I’ve used it for pretesting, exit tickets, revision and quick discussion questions. Teachers and students are provided with a range of feedback including live to a downloadable report. 

YouTube: Not only is this a fantastic resource for education videos, it also allows users to create playlists which for teachers, can be used to collate a selection of videos for your students.

Its ‘Creator Studio’ is also underused. The video editor allows users the ability to edit videos all within YouTube. Here, students are also able to access both creative commons audio and video that can be applied to their own work.    

Kaizena

This web application allows teachers to give voice and text feedback on students’ work. It also allows teachers to link to videos or other online references that may assist students. I used this frequently last year, and I definitely recommend you giving it a go!

A Google A Day

I often find myself teaching students how to search effectively. This game allows students to refine their searching skills. It’s a good one for a warm up activity or to finish off a lesson.

Canva

This site helps students design professional looking presentations, posters, and social media graphics including infographics.

3 Comments on Web Based Resources

1. Janine Crookes
    January 12, 2016 at 11:12 am (4 years ago)

I love the idea of Kaizena. What age groups have you used it with? I would like to be able to provide meaningful feedback quickly and this seems to make that easier. Looking forward to giving it a go in 2016!

Reply
  2. jordantgrant@gmail.com
    January 12, 2016 at 8:39 pm (4 years ago)

Glad to hear you found some resources!

Sandra, I’ll definitely check out the Bells Gorge Falls virtual tour!

Janine, be sure to have a look at this video for some extra tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICtVnCtBwR4

There’s plenty more to Kaizena than explained in my post. I use it with my Yr 9 English class as well as with my Yr 12 Revolutions class.

Reply