Assessment Blog #2 – A Letter to Ewan

Dear Ewan,

Do you know what you have put me through with this task?

You ask me to choose a morning routine. Well, I don’t know what mornings are like in Scotland but here in Brisbane, Australia nothing as glamorous as an airport, or a coffee house feature in my morning routine. Then you ask me to remain objective throughout the observation – pretty hard in my case because  mornings also involve my head exploding! THEN, if that’s not bad enough, you ask me to draw the whole thing!?!?

SURE, the routine that does exist is up for improvement, so I guess I will get that part of the task correct. Every day my plan is to be out the door at 7:15 to arrive at work at 7:30. Despite, many efforts, this almost never happens.  I don’t need to exercise empathy to know what the situation is like from my children’s perspective as they are most willing to tell me. Put simply, they are bewildered that I get flustered and find it difficult to understand why I can’t just calm down.

My observations are that the mornings are quite beautiful, the light is soft, the temperature is mild, the air is full of bird song and the house is filled with the smell of coffee and toast. Emotionally, the children are generally happy and just cruise along getting ready for school. The complaints are mostly mine and it is my temperature and volume that rise as all the unexpected extras of the morning start to make me panic.

I really have no idea if I have adequately responded to this task but here are the sketches of my morning routine. Kind regards, Helen

3 Comments on Assessment Blog #2 – A Letter to Ewan

1. Shannon Campbell
    August 8, 2014 at 4:14 pm (6 years ago)

Helen, this is the best blog post I have ever read. My morning routine (with the exception of having kids) sounds incredibly familiar. Sometimes I don’t get to have the toast however!!!

Reply
  2. Lisa
    August 9, 2014 at 12:06 am (6 years ago)

Helen – I was about to write exactly what Shannon has!! Best post ever 🙂 I totally get it and I think your drawings are fantastic! If your design brief helps you come up with answers I may also benefit! cheers, Lisa

Reply
  3. Ewan McIntosh
    August 12, 2014 at 4:09 pm (6 years ago)

Your observations have more in common with my regular routine than you can ever imagine! Super observations that could do with some more digging and explaining out if you were trying to present them to others, but which will work well, I’m sure, in writing a brief to overcome some of that angst! 😉

Reply