Planning the knowledge artefact

Why I left ADDIE for SAM for the design of my knowledge artefact

Breaking the linear mindset

I chose to use the SAM (Successive Approximation Model) to design and build my knowledge artefact (Allen & Stiles, 2012). The benefits of adopting this model was to move away from the linear waterfall model and thinking that ADDIE tends to foster. Originally ADDIE was developed by the US Army adopting a waterfall approach to instructional design (Dick and Carey, 2014). The model was later redeveloped by the US Army in 1984 to become a dynamic approach with evaluation built into each phase. Although this redevelopment promoted an iterative approach to the design, build and implementation of online learning, the SAM model provided an opportunity to use an agile approach and rapid prototyping to design— beginning with the end in mind (Covey, 2009, p.55). The model focused on putting at the forefront what I hoped to achieve at the end. What impact did I want my knowledge artefact to have? What was its purpose? What conversations did I hope it would facilitate? What behaviours or attitudes did I hope it would change? My instructional design needed to move beyond just building in evaluation into every phase of development. I needed to build in some deeper questioning of the purpose of the artefact design and build.

The three phases of SAM are Preparation, Iterative Design and Iterative Preparation. During the Preparation phase I used padlet to share thinking around the use of the wiki for the OLS learning designers. I started to record the concerns, the pros and cons and other conversations that surrounded the reluctance to adopt the wiki as a repository to share knowledge by the learning designers.

Allen, M.W. & Stiles, R. (2012). Leaving ADDIE for SAM. Association for Talent Development.

Covey, S.R. (2009). The 7 habits of highly effective people. New York: Rosetta.

Dick, W., and Carey, L. (2014). The Systematic Design of Instruction. 8th ed. Pearson Education.

,