Social bookmarking

creative commons licensed ( BY-NC-SA ) flickr photo shared by langwitches

I’ve been a social bookmarker since early 2007 when I set up a Delicious account. The following year I was participating in a blogging challenge and when requested to “Find a new toy” I joined Diigo but maintained my Delicious account by auto-saving from Diigo (which seems to have mysteriously stopped happening about six months ago, lucky I wasn’t relying on it).

Quite apart from the convenience of having your bookmarks accessible from any internet connected device, social bookmarking develops a range of skills as shown in the illustration above.

What I do with Diigo:

• Save bookmarks for me. I use the Chrome browser extension on desktop/laptop computers and the Diigo app on my iPad and phone.
  • Use tags as effectively as I can. The librarian in me endeavours to be consistent with tagging. I don’t hold back with how many I use but I like to keep to a consistent format. eg putting multi-word tags in quote marks rather than use hyphens or underscores to prevent each word being treated as an individual tag. I try not to use capital letters except for proper names.
  • Auto-tweet new public bookmarks (via IFTTT) as a means to share and also to acknowledge that I’ve seen something someone I know has published.
  • Save bookmarks to share with groups. I’ve joined the group for this subject, as well as various other educational groups, and I’ve created groups. I get daily or weekly update emails from the groups I belong to which is a great way of keeping up. I’ve often thought that the ability to have a discussion about a bookmark within a group should be very useful but I haven’t been able to engage the members of the groups I’ve created in this way and I’ve only infrequently seen it used effectively in other groups.
  • Save bookmarks to auto-post to two different blogs. One is a resource for teachers at my school – anything tagged KDSBytes gets posted daily as “Worth a read [date]”; while those tagged KDSiPad post as “iPad news and views [date]”. Everything I bookmark (except those marked private) get posted as “New and interesting links (weekly)” on my personal blog.
  • Use lists. I used bundles extensively with Delicious until they disappeared (although it seems they’re back), lately I’ve started trying to make lists work for me in the same way.
  • I’ve recently set up a Diigo account at my new school although it is still very much a work in progress – I’m looking forward to having LibGuides next year so we have an online presence from where we can provide access. I will be using lists to organise the bookmarks into curriculum areas.
  • Occasionally use the highlighting feature.
  • I have registered as an educator which gives some premium features for free – well worth doing!
  • I haven’t explored using Diigo with students although I’ve read about it being successfully used. I think social bookmarking is part of being digitally literate.