OLJ Task 8: Mobile Exploration

Thanks to responsive web design, consumers and creators alike are able to create websites that are easily maintained and access across all desktop, tablet and mobile devices. Prior to writing this blog entry, I unlocked my mobile device (Pixel 2), opened Chrome and viewed the current tabs I had opened. To my surprise I noticed that I am visiting websites via a web browser much less as opposed to the accessing content presented in a specific app user interfaces – this will have to be explored in a later blog post.

After viewing my history of the past 6-months, I found three websites I have been visiting:

www.nbnco.com.au

www.google.com

www.seek.com.au

NBN’s home page is well designed including a search box for users to when NBN will be available at their address. The benefit of this search box is that it is predictive. After entering the first 5 characters of my address it appeared for me to press. A menu button is featured at the top left hand corner of the page which expands to allow the user to view all subpages within the site. Finally at the bottom of the home page are a number of icon for users to view NBN’s social media accounts. These features along with other handy options such as step by step guides make the NBN site one that clearly as been designed with the end user in mind.

Google’s search page is a simplistic minimalist design, which is a welcomed interface since most websites are saturated with information and advertisements. Similar to the NBN site, the search box is predictive which can be quite beneficial, although the predictive search terms can at times be inappropriate for younger users. Social tools can be found in the app menu, although the Google tools are the only social tools featured for users.

Seek clearly has incorporated a responsive web design that presents to users the main driver for visiting the site – Job Search. Similarly to the NBN site, Seek have consolidated all subpage menus into a simple menu button that features in the top right hand corner of the site. Seek do not have clear pathways to traditional social tools, instead this site allows users to join and create a profile that will allow registered employers to contact prospective employees directly.

Meeting end-user needs through device optimised responsive web design (Rawlins, 2016)  is clearly featured within all three sites. By establishing norms for mobile devices such as a minimised menu button allows for key features of respective site to take up the minimal screen real estate that exists on mobile devices. I would like to see the ‘small print’ at the bottom of these sites that contain hyperlinks to privacy, terms and conditions incorporate larger text. The ability to pinch a screen to zoom is an incredible feature, although it feels like more of a necessity when viewing sites on mobile devices.

Image Credit: Johan Larsson, Browser, flickr, CC BY 2.0

Google. (2018). Google.com. Retrieved 24 April 2018, from https://www.google.com/

Home | nbn – Australia’s new broadband access network. (2018). Nbnco.com.au. Retrieved 24 April 2018, from https://www.nbnco.com.au/

Rawlins, B. (2016). Mobile Technologies in Libraries : A LITA Guide. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.

SEEK – Australia’s no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site. (2018). SEEK. Retrieved 24 April 2018, from https://www.seek.com.au/

0 comments on “OLJ Task 8: Mobile ExplorationAdd yours →