#INF536 – Literature Critique Reflection

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8516/8573966340_bc01dde535_z.jpg

Well, it has been almost a week since I have been able to get back to INF536 for more than a cursory scan (why is it that every time I commence study, the balance of my world tips and suddenly instead of juggling full-time work, study and a bit of life, it becomes a circus tightrope act, whilst juggling, blindfolded, metres above the ground without a safety net?) My major stressor at present is to find a new home and move, in the next three weeks…or yes, and ensure that there is suitable accommodation for my 70 year old mom.

That aside, after reviewing my Task #4, I find myself in much the same state of mind as many of my peers and colleagues…not satisfied with my efforts, but accepting that a pass is sufficient. This is so totally at odds with 1. my Type A personality; 2. how totally enamoured I am with the whole concept of design thinking and the role of design in, well, EVERYTHING! and 3. my absolute NEED to constantly improve EVERYTHING. *sigh*

So here I am, stepping into the chasm that is 21 Century learning, putting my work out there knowing that I could have done so much better and yet, it was the best that I could do at the time. Knowledge Networks & Digital Innovations has resulted in my viewing learning through new lenses. I ‘knew’ that this generation use social media for an incredible amount of learning, and thought I was pretty social media savvy 🙂 but had never really considered using it for LEARNING or for the opportunities that we don’t allow our students to access, in schools. My seniors, past and present, have been astounded by the fact that so many of my peers share their work…

• online,
  • before it is marked,
  • beyond the class group,
  • and (Heather Baillie, this one is for you! and all the rest, who have already made the leap) are willing to tweet the link and then watch as it is viewed by thousands around the world.

This truly is a remarkable course and an even more remarkable tribe of 21st Century learners, especially when you consider that most of us were born before the internet (that one always raises a gasp from students).

So, despite my anxiety (my relatively recent pacemaker is kicking in with each heart-stopping moment in #INF536), I have decided that I too need to take the kinds of risks that I would love to see my students take. I will post my Critique (even though it doesn’t really meet ‘critique’ criteria) and share it with my peers and whomever else chooses to read it.

Knowledge Networks & Digital Innovations is helping me take risks I never even considered taking before.

#INF536 is opening my eyes to a world I hadn’t really ‘seen’ before.

I have always loved the ‘creative types’. You know the ones… the genius in the Philipines who uses coke bottles, water and Clorox to bring light into shanty towns; the Dutch guy who loves rats and Africa so much, that entire communities are now living free of landmines and tuberculosis; the advertising campaigns that raise social awareness and more. I thought these people were just creative, but now I know that they are designers, thinking outside the box to problem-solve, in ingenious ways.

We are all designers, if we just open our minds and our hearts. THIS is the type of citizen that each and every one of us (and our students) has the potential to be, no matter the scale of the problem. To this amazing tribe of peers in #INF536, you inspire me!

I am so excited to be learning about design thinking, as I commence a new journey, at a new school, in a new role. The 21st Century is truly a remarkable time to be alive, if we could only see the opportunities it offers and grab them with both hands.

And…LEAP

By Felipe Ascencio. 2012

By Felipe Ascencio. 2012

1 comment for “#INF536 – Literature Critique Reflection

1. September 7, 2014 at 3:27 am

To me its the sharing that actually makes it all worthwhile and motivates me to keep going and strive to do better. If I didn’t share I think it would be too easy for me to give up…because no one would ever know.
    My husband is a bit like the people you mention in your post but he is quietly rather impressed and I think a bit sorry that the same opportunities weren’t open to him when he did his research based masters in applied science about 18 years ago. He says he’d be surprised if more than 20 people have read his thesis (one of them was me, proofreading, I didn’t understand a word!) – such little impact for 5+ years hard slog.
    I so feel your pain when it comes to the work/study/family/life balancing act. It’s a constant juggle and struggle to do well by all…oh well, my house could be cleaner but my kids are turning into mature, self-reliant and sometimes quite helpful young adults. Things could be worse.