After reviewing the assessment guidelines, I decided to choose a space in my school to observe and document for Blog Task 2. I decided to observe a space that I visit everyday but do not really spend a lot of time there. I split my observation up into two parts, the first was in the morning before students were at school and then the second part, I went back when I knew students would be around.
The area I observed was an open space in the middle of the three year 5/6 classrooms. It is also a major thoroughfare from the front of the school to the year 3/4 portable buildings.
I visit the space regularly, I walk through it everyday and I often work with the year 5/6 students and their teachers…but I have never used this space with them- I feel like it is wasted space that could be used better by myself and the students and teachers in the area.
Here are my notes and observations-
- Many teachers walking back and forth to get from one end of the school to the other.
- The tables, chairs and ottomans just seemed to be placed any which way.
- All furniture seems close together
- Locker tubs trolleys were neat and tidy
- iPad trolley secured to the wall
- Smaller table in the corner, no chairs around it
- Student work displays on pin boards
- Decorations hanging from the ceilings
- Large panelled windows that take up a whole wall, some are coloured glass
- Some student artwork on the windows
- Two blinds halfway open- one closed
- It’s quite
- Students walking in and out to get iPads, books, things from their tubs
- Two students working independently near the windows
- Teachers and students from other classes walking through the space to get from one part of the school to the next
- Blinds were the same, two up, one down
- Noise coming from nearby art room and classrooms
- Large sliding door of a classroom gets shut for about 10 minutes before reopening
- Locker tub trolley untidy, bags spilling out
- Rubbish on the floor
- Ottomans tipped over
The shape of the space is quite odd so I used the iPad app MagicPlan to capture it and annotated my sketches over the top-