So many un-connected educators!

On Friday night I attended the 2014 Victorian Education Excellence Awards dinner at Crown Palladium in Melbourne. I attended this dinner as a guest, as last year I won the 2013 Primary Teacher of the Year award. A lot has happened for me in the last 12 months, it has been a huge year.

Whilst enjoying the night, I noticed something different. Twitter got mentioned in the opening address and the hashtag #veea was thrust onto the screens to encourage those in attendance to Tweet. There was also a scrolling feed of Tweets on the big screens throughout the night. Now this really isn’t something new for a social event these days. Last year I tweeted and there were a small number of attendees there who were Tweeting but this year was different. There were a lot more. I thought it was great, obviously so many more teachers had ‘jumped’ on Twitter and realised the potential of a PLN, I was excited to see lots of new names and Tweets popping up in the #veea hashtag. For a brief moment I had a thought that maybe, just maybe, a connected educator was becoming a standard. I began to explore these new people popping up on my phone, anticipating I would find some valuable members of the teaching community to add to my PLN.

Sigh.

I was wrong, and that fleeting thought I had disappeared quickly. While I am positive that the teachers in attendance are wonderful at what they do, after all, we were at an awards ceremony honouring amazing educators, it was obvious that these new names and profiles I was examining were not those of connected educators.

I wanted to scream and shout from the rooftops to anyone that would listen, I wanted to swing from the chandeliers of the Palladium, just to make them understand. I wish that more teachers could know what it means to be a connected educator with a mutually savvy PLN. It makes me a little bit sad. I learn so much everyday from those I am connected to online, I am blessed with such a wealth of experience at my fingertips, I have thousands of people who share their ideas, respond to my thoughts and questions, offer advice and share. It makes me sad because there are still so many teachers out there missing out on this.

The topic for my digital essay is ‘Teachers: The need to become productive knowledge workers in 21st Century teaching and learning environments’ and I have been reading about the importance of continuing learning and innovation.

My question is, how are teachers doing this if they are not connected? Is it even possible?

P.S- Congrats to @brittgow – 2014 Lindsay Thompson Fellowship award winner- definitely a connected educator and definitely inspiring others and continuing learning and innovation! 

3 Comments

1. Bec, I’m with you! I’ve just attended the CBCA conference, which was terrific – don’t get me wrong – but not only was there no free wifi at the venue (how is that possible?), but in a room of almost 300 people, only about a dozen were tweeting. No one had considered how we were to charge devices. The great divide between books and digital was resembling a chasm. I can envisage so many benefits for students if we push digital into the fiction space as well, but that’s another story….

Your screaming and shouting from the rooftops seems like such a sensible and justified response to me. Can we do a virtual one?

Reply

2. I had free wifi (at the cbca conference), but it wasn’t advertised all that well, and yeah, all around me people’s devices were dying.

I find it difficult to tweet and concentrate on speakers, although I was able to retweet. And check facebook in some of the sessions.

Like you, I am concerned by the apparent denial of anything digital in any of the sessions. I loved it when Erica Hateley asked Stephen Michael King if he would consider creating a digital version of ‘Duck and the Darklings’ and he said ‘No’. It was like #NO (my interpretation).

Sigh. I love me some books, but gees, living in the dark isn’t going to solve any of the issues or make us appear more relevant.

Trisha Buckley

Reply

3. I smiled – you know – one of those ‘smile and sigh, I am with you on this’ kind of smile. Not wry – but a bit! I’m with you. Thank goodness there are people like you too – you are helping to change that static baseline ! Go you!

Reply