Exploring Information Leadership

Module 5.1 states- “The job description for an information leader today must address the need to develop awareness and use of social media, the ubiquitous use of technology for learning, 21st century skills and understanding of digital citizenship needs for a healthy and productive life. An information leader is responsible for developing, explaining and supporting the preferred digital citizenship model within a school or institution.”

In researching and reviewing job descriptions associated with digital learning, I did not find many where information leadership was prominent or explicitly stated. I decided to look more closely at my current role description and expectations.

An excerpt from my current job description:

eLearning Leader:

• Model best eLearning practice
  • Develop model eLearning classrooms
  • Support e-Learning team planning
  • Promote and demonstrate latest eLearning tools
  • Develop eLearning extracurricular activities for students
  • Support staff with the assessment and reporting of eLearning
  • Provide professional learning for teachers
  • Oversee networking needs across the school
  • Lead and collaborate with IT technical support
  • Develop and implement eLearning vision
  • Oversee 1:1 device and BYOD program
  • Manage eLearning budget
  • Manage eLearning resources
  • Establish a school wide three year eLearning plan

When reviewing my role expectations I did not find anything about digital citizenship explicitly stated, yet this is a huge part of my role, so it came as a surprise. I have had many conversations with leadership at my school about digital citizenship. Digital citizenship has also been a major focus when delivering presentations to parents about school initiatives. I do have an understanding however that what I have in place for digital citizenship at my school and the plans I have for the future come into the following points in my role expectations- Model best eLearning practice, provide professional learning for teachers, develop and implement an eLearning vision and establish a school wide three year eLearning plan. However, I think it is important that information leadership components be included in this description and are explicitly stated, especially in relation to digital citizenship.

When reflecting on what could be added to my job description to support the need for information leadership I reflected on The Developmental Learning Framework for School Leaders document published by Victorian Department of Education. This document outlines five leadership domains aligned with the Sergiovanni domains that describe the major areas of leadership practice. Within each domain, expected knowledge, skills and dispositions are outlined as required capabilities for effective leadership performance. Considering these domains and the above definition of an information leader, the following could be included in my job description in order to support a socially, culturally and globally responsive Digital Learning Environment (DLE).

• Develop a common vision with school leaders, teachers and students to develop understandings for acceptable use agreements, 21st Century Learning, digital literacy and expected online behaviours.
  • Lead by example, model and share how digital communication technologies can be used to support both student and teacher learning.
  • Maintain an active awareness of emerging technologies and instructional models and evaluate their relevance in relation to the school vision and eLearning plan.
  • Curate content for staff professional development.
  • Develop social media protocols and an acceptable use policy in accordance with social, ethical and legal issues in accordance with DEECD policies for staff and students.
  • Manage the school’s social media presence to model digital citizenship best practices.
  • Model the use of digital technologies effectively to make connections to curriculum, instruction, learning and digital citizenship.
  • Facilitate open and consistent communication around technology via online and face to face means.
  • Develop staff and student use of social media, collaborative learning tools and digital technologies to promote ubiquitous learning.
  • Work closely with staff to develop innovative technology solutions to best facilitate student learning and digital citizenship.
  • Provide clear guidelines and develop staff and student understandings of Creative Commons licensing and copyright procedures.
  • Advocate for and develop staff and student understandings of fair use of digital resources.

I am interested to know what others think or could add to this list?