An Ode to Goodreads

When reading about the changing nature of the information landscape, I reflected on one of my favourite apps, Goodreads. I may have deleted all of my social media apps a few years ago now (partly to free up some more time to read) but Goodreads survived my great phone expunge.

The same presenter who introduced me to the concept of textual linage returned at the beginning of the school year. She shared her holiday reading with us and encouraged us to do the same with our students (she also listed podcasts on her list which I found interesting). I think the Goodreads app is a perfect way to do this and here’s why:

1. Teachers and students can record all of the books that they read
  2. They can connect with ‘friends’ and the wider community to see what books they are reading
  3. When searching for a particular book, the app provides a book description and rating as well as community reviews to assist people when selecting a book to read
  4. In this section, it also lists other books by the same author and books that readers of this book also enjoyed
  5. The ‘Reading Challenge’ function: allows readers to make a reading goal (a certain number of books per year) and tracks their progress, encouraging them to work towards their goal.

My only criticism is that the app doesn’t allow you to record books that you re-read as it only allows each book to be listed once. As a fairly easy app to navigate, this could be another interesting way to continue the dialogue around reading as the year progresses especially as the new term fast approaches.

P.S. My Holiday Reading:

-The Hitchhikers’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

-East the Sky, Drink the Ocean by Kirsty Murray (Editor), Payal Dhar (Editor), Anita Roy (Editor), et al.

-Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton

-The Boat by Nam Le