Digital Detox

Having just returned from a much-needed technology free getaway (or digital detox as it is more commonly known in the post-hashtag world), I will be typing up and posting several blogs over the next few days that were originally written with the old-fashioned pen and paper. But before I do so, I think it is worth mentioning that because our professions seem to revolve more and more around screens, sometimes we need to make the fully intentional decision to place ourselves in an environment that allows us to figuratively and literally ‘switch off.’ And is this something that we should be discussing explicitly with our students?

The damaging effects of too much screen time, especially on our emotional and mental health, is becoming more widely-known. The aim of a digital detox includes lowering stress levels, enhancing mental positivity, improving social interactions and realigning our lives with our values whilst re-assessing what is truly important to us. Two common ways to do this is to fully immerse yourself in nature and to delve head-first into a book (or to do both simultaneously if you’re that way inclined – my preferred method).

I made a point of giving most of my classes the same bit of holiday ‘homework;’ enjoy a book or two (or three) and was stoked when several students left the library with a pile of books in their arms and huge grins plastered across their faces. I must admit that so did I.